Radeon 9700 Pro scrambled display, please help

Old December 12th 03, 02:21 PM
Oliver Besicz

Default Radeon 9700 Pro scrambled display, please help

Hi,

I know this has been asked before, but the threads always stop before
someone posted a solution to this:

Suddenly, my display becomes scrambled, it's blocks of colourful
horizontal lines, which change position on screen, and scramble up the
screen very badly. They are there at 95% of the time, and this hasn't
been the case with the exact same hardware configuration (see below)
before. Sometimes they are already there from booting the computer,
sometimes they come after 10 minutes.

Absolutely no overclocking is being done, neither on the GPU or CPU.
Also, the case is cooled very well, and as I said the machine has been
working flawlessly for about half a year:

Mobo: ABIT IT7 Max 2 V2.0 (newest bios from 7/11/03)
Graphics: Sapphiretech Radeon 9700 Pro (actively cooled by a fan)
Other PCI: Hoontech Soundcard, Netgear Gigabit Ethernet Card

The longest period when the stripes weren't there was for about half an
hour, then the screen gradually got more messed up when I dragged some
windows around, and inside 10 minutes it was totally garbled.

It looks like a hardware problem...doesn't it?

Cheers Oliver

Old December 12th 03, 02:50 PM
Hellraiser

"Oliver Besicz" wrote in message
[...]

Sounds like a knackered/overheating GFX card. Check the fan on the card,
these have a tendency of seizing up and this usually kills the card.

Hellraiser.........

Old December 13th 03, 01:39 PM
Mudfish\(Co30\)

--

Overtemping the GPU most likely.

If you have one with the spacer generated
gap between the GPU and the heat sink the
globs of double sided heat transfer tape
may have drooled out.

Overtemping a few times will not normally
toast a GPU. Put a good strong fan blowing
on it with the case open and see if it clears up.

If that make it good then its a temp problem
for sure.

If your not worried about warantee
pull off the HSF and remove the spacer,
use some arctic silver and carefully replace
the HSF.

If you are worried about warantee send it back
and good luck to you.

--
{{ MudFish (Co30){('

www.Co30.com