Getting rid of old parts

Old February 4th 04, 08:48 AM
Dave Navarro

Default Getting rid of old parts

I have a closet full of old working parts (ISA cards, Pentium and P2
motherboards, 72-pin SIMMs, hard drives, etc.) that I want to get rid
of.

My wife wants me to just toss them in the trash, but I'd prefer to give
it to some organization that can actually use it.

I've done a search on the Net and contacted a few places, but they have
no interest in old parts, just new stuff (like I'd get rid of any of my
new stuff grin).

Someone has got to be building a cluster of Linux machines using old
parts or something.

For the heck of it, I tried putting some of it on eBay for $1, but most
of it didn't sell. So tossing it in the trash or finding someone who
can use it is my final solution.

--Dave
Old February 4th 04, 02:56 PM
jeff findley

Dave Navarro writes:

I have a closet full of old working parts (ISA cards, Pentium and P2
motherboards, 72-pin SIMMs, hard drives, etc.) that I want to get rid
of.

Make a list of what you've got, then post it here saying that you'll
send it to anyone interested for the cost of shipping. The parts will
find a good home with someone like me who loves to "play" with old
parts, but really doesn't have the budget to pay lots of $$$ for the
parts.

One of my current projects is building two or three MP3 players out of
old Pentium computer parts. I've got one built and tested already,
and am working on building a suitable audio component case for it
(starting with the case of an old, dead, audio CD player).

Make the subject of your post something like, "Old PC parts, FREE to a
good home". ;-)

Jeff
--
Remove "no" and "spam" from email address to reply.
If it says "This is not spam!", it's surely a lie.
Old February 4th 04, 03:25 PM
Lew Dove

jeff findley wrote:
Dave Navarro writes:

[...]

I am always looking for old computer stuff for my ISA-based machines.
Tell you what, I will trade you an 8" floppy disk drive and some S-100
buss boards for some of your stuff. You don't know what old really is!
Binary Lew

Old February 4th 04, 07:57 PM
philo

"Dave Navarro" wrote in message
I have a closet full of old working parts (ISA cards, Pentium and P2
motherboards, 72-pin SIMMs, hard drives, etc.) that I want to get rid
of.

My wife wants me to just toss them in the trash, but I'd prefer to give
it to some organization that can actually use it.

I've done a search on the Net and contacted a few places, but they have
no interest in old parts, just new stuff (like I'd get rid of any of my
new stuff grin).

Someone has got to be building a cluster of Linux machines using old
parts or something.

For the heck of it, I tried putting some of it on eBay for $1, but most
of it didn't sell. So tossing it in the trash or finding someone who
can use it is my final solution.

--Dave

you can post on the swapshop
of the obsoletecomputermuseum

http://obsoletecomputermuseum.org/cgi-bin/swapshop.pl

i also build machines for folks with little or no money

feel free to email me at philo(at) plazaearth(dot) com

Old February 4th 04, 08:17 PM
Isaac Kuo

Dave Navarro wrote in message ...
I have a closet full of old working parts (ISA cards,
Pentium and P2 motherboards, 72-pin SIMMs, hard drives,
etc.) that I want to get rid of.

So tossing it in the trash or finding someone who
can use it is my final solution.

Do you know if any of your P2 motherboards can accept
hard drives bigger than 32Gigs? I could really use 1-4
of them.

Also, I would really love any hard drives 1.0Gig and up.
Hard drives die on me all too often, and I can never have
too many of them.

e-mail:

Thanks! (I hope)

Isaac Kuo
Old February 5th 04, 12:40 AM
Hank Oredson

Exactly what I'm looking for, where do I pick 'em up?

--

... Hank

Hank: http://horedson.home.att.net
W0RLI: http://w0rli.home.att.net

Old February 5th 04, 02:58 AM
Phisherman

I could use a pair of old 72-pin 32 meg SIMMs!

Old February 5th 04, 10:37 AM
Dave Navarro

In article ,
says...
I could use a pair of old 72-pin 32 meg SIMMs!

I've only got 1MB, 4MB, 8MB and "maybe" a pair of 16MB.

The 32's all got used for upgrades.

--Dave