Post, won't boot to Windows

Old December 9th 07, 08:43 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Fitz[_2_]

Default Post, won't boot to Windows

My wife has an older machine based on a Biostar M7NCD Pro. While playing
WOW, the graphics became corrupt and the machine locked up. Upon a hard
restart, the machine would get to the Post screen, but with a series of
vertical dots on the screen. It will not go past post. After multiple
reboots, it also was not detecting the hard drive. I cleared the CMOS-
didn't help. Reseated the video card- no help. Flashed the BIOS - nope.
Tried booting to the Windows XP install CD- uh, no again. Stops at the
post screen, and then goes black. On one occasion it did try to get to
Windows- I got the "wait while loading" bar graphic (still corrupt
graphics), but that's where it stayed. Motherboard doesn't show any
obvious signs of failure (no leaking or bloated caps). Voltages in BIOS
hardware monitor are normal. Took out one stick of memory at a time and
changed DIMM slots- no luck.

Any ideas, or does my wife get a new computer for Christmas (I already
bought her a vacuum)?

Thanks,
Fitz
--
Your body is a temple boy,
You ought to treat it well

Old December 9th 07, 08:10 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
JAD[_5_]

"Fitz" wrote in message ...
[...]

no worries mate, when she opens that present. you'll be dead.

lol

try a different video card (have you reseated it yet?)

Thanks,
Fitz

Old December 10th 07, 06:02 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Fitz[_2_]

RobV wrote:

Could be a bad video card. Your description is exactly what occurred
when a video card I had died on me (long time ago). Probably the video
card RAM went bad. Swapping it out with another one would be the best
way to tell. Otherwise, as DaveW said, it's time for a new MB, or
system.

Thanks,

Called BFG and they said it sounded like a video problem. I've got a
machine I can install the card in. They said if it has any issues they
will replace the card (you gotta love real lifetime warranty's and 24/7
tech support in English).

Fitz

Old December 12th 07, 09:54 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Fitz[_2_]

Tried the video card in a different machine- still corrupt graphics,
though this one will boot to Windows. Set up a cross ship RMA with BFG,
so should have a new card in a couple days. Seems the hard drive failed-
I tried it in a different machine- set it up has both primary slave and
secondary master. It wouldn't run. With it out of the case, but
connected, I can hear it making noise it shouldn't. Don't know if the
graphics card problem is related to the hard drive failure, but either
way, have to replace them both.

Have the drive vacuum sealed in the freezer, hoping to get it working
long enough to recover some docs and pics.

Thanks for the help,

Fitz