Just got an 8800GT and a new system

Old November 20th 07, 01:31 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
SHRED

Default Just got an 8800GT and a new system

....A BIG THANKS TO YOU ALL!!!

I did it.
I Just came out of the win2000, CRT, 6800GS, 533 FSB, etc...daze.

Went to Newegg.com and got the evga 512 8800GT's bundled with Crysis.
Plus a whole new system basically.
Chickened out on Vista. I have too many old skool programs I like and
feared conflict.
Maybe later to take advantage of 64-bit CPU when I add 2 more gig of RAM.

This thing should kick some major ass!!
I will use my Plextor DVD burner, monitor, two Seagate SATA 80g's for
storage also, etc...

Thanks all for helping me with my major upgrade. YOU GUYS ROCK!!!

I am stoked.

COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum Bezel , SECC Chassis
ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
EVGA 512-P3-N802-A3 GeForce 8800GT Superclocked 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI
Express 2.0 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
Antec True Power Trio TP3-550 ATX12V 550W Power Supply with Three 12V
Rails - Retail
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor Model
BX80562Q6600 - Retail
G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual
Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL4D-2GBPK - Retail
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard
Drive - OEM
Microsoft Windows XP Professional With SP2B 1 Pack - OEM
Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM
Old November 20th 07, 05:00 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Red Cloud

On Nov 19, 5:31 pm, SHRED wrote:
[...]

I don't know what to do with 8800GT. This video card does not fully
support
what I need. I had to install old low video card to get what I need.
I don't get it
why high-power latest video card can't do the right job.
Old November 20th 07, 05:51 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

SHRED wrote:
[...]

Congratulations! You have made superior choices. If this is your first
DIY build, you have demonstrated understanding of price/performance
issues well enough to have picked the right gear at the right price.

I am particularly happy about you choosing NewEgg, cheap (but fast) RAM,
and that you spent the bulk of your budget on the most important items
(GPU+CPU), well done.

The only issue if any, is that you went significantly over budget with a
total of $1,114.92, with some additional shipping charges (some items
ship free).

However, if you already have an XP license to transfer, you have a new
and acceptable sub total of $974.93, but Microsoft appreciates the
continued business, I'm sure.

One small point for clarification: You don't need 4G of RAM or Windows
XP x64 to 'experience' 64-bit CPU performance, that is a side issue with
zero impact for gamers, only for specialty program users who already
know who they are.

Old November 20th 07, 10:25 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Man-wai Chang ToDie

One small point for clarification: You don't need 4G of RAM or Windows
XP x64 to 'experience' 64-bit CPU performance, that is a side issue with
zero impact for gamers, only for specialty program users who already
know who they are.

Vi$ta x64 starts up a lot faster with 4G RAM....

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (Xubuntu 7.04) Linux 2.6.23.8
Old November 20th 07, 02:53 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
SHRED

Mr.E Solved! wrote:
SHRED wrote:
[...]

Thanks Mr.E Solved!

Yes I did go "over budget".
No I didn't have a copy of XP.
And I also stretched the budget further by purchasing a Zalman 9700 fan
for the Quad.

Again, for clarification 4gig ram and XP PRO 32-bit.
My understanding is that XP32 does not show all 4 gigs (3-3.5) yet it is
utilizing all 4 gigs anyway?

Thanks again.

---
Old November 20th 07, 03:23 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

SHRED wrote:

Again, for clarification 4gig ram and XP PRO 32-bit.

My understanding is that XP32 does not show all 4 gigs (3-3.5) yet it is
utilizing all 4 gigs anyway?

Don't get bogged down on this point, but no. Windows XP isn't utilizing
all available memory space, but you don't care since Windows XP never
has a memory footprint that sizable...however you can use multiple 2G
user spaces, but you can't do it, only applications.

It's about addressing, not about large contiguous chunks. Only special
programs need that much RAM, and only special circumstances show any
performance differences between 3G-4G.

Windows XP x64 is available for free download and trial (4 months
license), go ahead and dual-boot XP and XP x64, see what you aren't missing.