13.3" 2012 MacBook Pro's HDD dying confirmed or not?

Old September 28th 15, 04:51 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.hdd,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ant

Default 13.3" 2012 MacBook Pro's HDD dying confirmed or not?

Hi.

I had to help a client whose's 13.3" MacBook Pro wouldn't boot up after
travelling to another country. We tried to do stuff remotely, but stuff
failed like Apple Hardware Test, Safe Mode, etc. This evening, he
returned and I checked it out its Disk Utility v13 wouldn't fully verify
and repair. So I had to do a Time Machine restore from his external USB2
HDD which took almost three hours to complete (over 161 GB of data).
Now, Disk Utility's verifications passed and Mac OS X boots up in both
recovery and after logging into restored Mac OS X on HDD.

I did more HDD testings with SMARTreporter (demo). They showed green
color, passed, etc. However, I noticed
its logs show possible bad signs:
http://pastie.org/pastes/10447460/te...2uz2nljbwrznyg ...
So, I ran a short test and it passed. Long test twice, it failed at 90%.
This sounds scary to me. What do you guys think?

For now, I told him to use his MBP at his own risk and not to do any
more backups to Time Machine drive just in case but do back up to
external USB flash drives or so for now.

If the drive is dying, what is a good replacement in case Apple won't
replace it due to recent expired AppleCare on 9/17/2015 and planning in
advance. He currently used almost 200 GB of disk space (Time Machine
didn't keep his VMs, big videos, etc. but those were copied
(back/cop)ied separately).

Thank you in advance.
--
Quote of the Week: Allah's Apostle said, "Once while a prophet amongst
the prophets was taking a rest underneath a tree, an ant bit him. He,
Old September 29th 15, 12:57 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.hdd,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Ant wrote

Hi.

Lo.

I had to help a client whose's 13.3" MacBook Pro wouldn't boot up after
travelling to another country. We tried to do stuff remotely, but stuff
failed like Apple Hardware Test, Safe Mode, etc. This evening, he
returned and I checked it out its Disk Utility v13 wouldn't fully verify
and repair. So I had to do a Time Machine restore from his external USB2
HDD which took almost three hours to complete (over 161 GB of data).
Now, Disk Utility's verifications passed and Mac OS X boots up in both
recovery and after logging into restored Mac OS X on HDD.

I did more HDD testings with SMARTreporter (demo).
They showed green color, passed, etc. However,
I noticed its logs show possible bad signs:
http://pastie.org/pastes/10447460/te...2uz2nljbwrznyg ...

Absolutely certainly bad signs. Its got an absolute ****load of
pending reallocatable sectors, 456, and its clearly been dropped.

So, I ran a short test and it passed. Long test twice, it failed at 90%.
This sounds scary to me. What do you guys think?

She's dead Jim, you still into necrophilia ?

For now, I told him to use his MBP at his own risk and not to do any
more backups to Time Machine drive just in case but do back up to
external USB flash drives or so for now.

If the drive is dying,

No if about it.

what is a good replacement in case Apple won't replace
it due to recent expired AppleCare on 9/17/2015

But it may have been covered when it was dropped.

and planning in advance.

Not clear what you mean there.

He currently used almost 200 GB of disk space (Time Machine
didn't keep his VMs, big videos, etc. but those were copied
(back/cop)ied separately).

Thank you in advance.

Still smirking. You were warned...
Old September 29th 15, 02:34 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.hdd,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ant

Hi.

Lo.

Ha.

[...]

What type of drop? A big drop or a small drop? I will have to ask if he
dropped it hard.

So, I ran a short test and it passed. Long test twice, it failed at 90%.
This sounds scary to me. What do you guys think?

She's dead Jim, you still into necrophilia ?

You love saying that. :P

For now, I told him to use his MBP at his own risk and not to do any
more backups to Time Machine drive just in case but do back up to
external USB flash drives or so for now.

If the drive is dying,

No if about it.

OK.

what is a good replacement in case Apple won't replace
it due to recent expired AppleCare on 9/17/2015

But it may have been covered when it was dropped.

We'll see... He doesn't want Apple to have his old HDD since they don't
return it to the owner.

and planning in advance.

Not clear what you mean there.

Apple might not replace it for free and he has to get his own
replacement.

He currently used almost 200 GB of disk space (Time Machine
didn't keep his VMs, big videos, etc. but those were copied
(back/cop)ied separately).

Thank you in advance.

Still smirking. You were warned...

As usual.
Old September 29th 15, 04:00 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.hdd,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ant

I did more HDD testings with SMARTreporter (demo).
They showed green color, passed, etc. However,
I noticed its logs show possible bad signs:
http://pastie.org/pastes/10447460/te...2uz2nljbwrznyg ...

Absolutely certainly bad signs. Its got an absolute ****load of
pending reallocatable sectors, 456, and its clearly been dropped.

What type of drop? A big drop or a small drop? I will have to ask if he
dropped it hard.

And now we have an answer on that drop based on the HDD's SMART logs
from his e-mail when I asked him, "... It was in the case and computer
bag, I guess was not well protected when the bag fell from my roller
luggage. It worked for one day then stopped working..." Another reason
for a SSD! I wonder what else broke. :P
Old September 29th 15, 07:54 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.hdd,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Ant wrote

Hi.

Lo.

Ha.

La.

[...]

The SMART report doesn’t say, its just a count.

I will have to ask if he dropped it hard.

So, I ran a short test and it passed. Long test twice, it failed at 90%.
This sounds scary to me. What do you guys think?

She's dead Jim, you still into necrophilia ?

You love saying that. :P

I got that from your NSA report.

For now, I told him to use his MBP at his own risk and not
to do any more backups to Time Machine drive just in case
but do back up to external USB flash drives or so for now.

If the drive is dying,

No if about it.

OK.

what is a good replacement in case Apple won't replace
it due to recent expired AppleCare on 9/17/2015

But it may have been covered when it was dropped.

We'll see... He doesn't want Apple to have his old
HDD since they don't return it to the owner.

OK, pretty cheap to just buy a new one for the privacy.

and planning in advance.

Not clear what you mean there.

Apple might not replace it for free
and he has to get his own replacement.

Since he doesn’t want Apple to keep the drive,
best to just by a new one. They don’t cost much.

He currently used almost 200 GB of disk space (Time Machine
didn't keep his VMs, big videos, etc. but those were copied
(back/cop)ied separately).

Thank you in advance.

Still smirking. You were warned...

As usual.

Just like with the necrophilia.

Old September 29th 15, 07:57 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.hdd,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

"Ant" wrote in message
I did more HDD testings with SMARTreporter (demo).
They showed green color, passed, etc. However,
I noticed its logs show possible bad signs:
http://pastie.org/pastes/10447460/te...2uz2nljbwrznyg ...

Absolutely certainly bad signs. Its got an absolute ****load of
pending reallocatable sectors, 456, and its clearly been dropped.

What type of drop? A big drop or a small drop? I will have to ask if he
dropped it hard.

And now we have an answer on that drop based on the HDD's SMART
logs from his e-mail when I asked him, "... It was in the case and
computer bag, I guess was not well protected when the bag fell from
my roller luggage. It worked for one day then stopped working..."

I've reported him to the RSPCTPPAHDDS, he'll be soorree...

Another reason for a SSD!

True.

I wonder what else broke. :P

Likely nothing, its mostly the hard drives that suffer
in that situation if there isn't any visible damage.

Old September 29th 15, 02:25 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.hdd,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ant

I've reported him to the RSPCTPPAHDDS, he'll be soorree...

RSPCTPPAHDDS?

Another reason for a SSD!

True.

I wonder what else broke. :P

Likely nothing, its mostly the hard drives that suffer
in that situation if there isn't any visible damage.

I also told him SSD wouldn't break from that type of drop too.
Everything else seems to still work from what we can see. We don't see
any external physical damages.
Old September 29th 15, 02:28 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.hdd,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ant

Hi.

Lo.

Ha.

La.

Hu.

I did more HDD testings with SMARTreporter (demo).
They showed green color, passed, etc. However,
I noticed its logs show possible bad signs:
http://pastie.org/pastes/10447460/te...2uz2nljbwrznyg ...

Absolutely certainly bad signs. Its got an absolute ****load of
pending reallocatable sectors, 456, and its clearly been dropped.

What type of drop? A big drop or a small drop?

The SMART report doesn???t say, its just a count.

Ah.

I will have to ask if he dropped it hard.

So, I ran a short test and it passed. Long test twice, it failed at 90%.
This sounds scary to me. What do you guys think?

She's dead Jim, you still into necrophilia ?

You love saying that. :P

I got that from your NSA report

Prove it.

For now, I told him to use his MBP at his own risk and not
to do any more backups to Time Machine drive just in case
but do back up to external USB flash drives or so for now.

If the drive is dying,

No if about it.

OK.

what is a good replacement in case Apple won't replace
it due to recent expired AppleCare on 9/17/2015

But it may have been covered when it was dropped.

We'll see... He doesn't want Apple to have his old
HDD since they don't return it to the owner.

OK, pretty cheap to just buy a new one for the privacy.

Yeah, he doesn't want his data in the Apple store even if it was
encrypted, formatted, DBanned, etc.

and planning in advance.

Not clear what you mean there.

Apple might not replace it for free
and he has to get his own replacement.

Since he doesn???t want Apple to keep the drive,
best to just by a new one. They don???t cost much.

Yeah, and Apple would swap with another slow 5400 RPM HDD instead of a
SSD.

He currently used almost 200 GB of disk space (Time Machine
didn't keep his VMs, big videos, etc. but those were copied
(back/cop)ied separately).

Thank you in advance.

Still smirking. You were warned...

As usual.

Just like with the necrophilia.

:P
Old September 30th 15, 01:14 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.hdd,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Ant wrote

I've reported him to the RSPCTPPAHDDS, he'll be soorree...

RSPCTPPAHDDS?

If I told you that I'd have to kill you and you wouldn’t want that.

Another reason for a SSD!

True.

I wonder what else broke. :P

Likely nothing, its mostly the hard drives that suffer
in that situation if there isn't any visible damage.

I also told him SSD wouldn't break from that type of drop too.
Everything else seems to still work from what we can see.
We don't see any external physical damages.

Yeah, if he is that careless, an SSD would be the way to go.
And AppleCare to cover it if he drops stuff much.

Old September 30th 15, 01:29 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.hdd,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Ant wrote

Hi.

Lo.

Ha.

La.

Hu.

Lu.

I did more HDD testings with SMARTreporter (demo).
They showed green color, passed, etc. However,
I noticed its logs show possible bad signs:
http://pastie.org/pastes/10447460/te...2uz2nljbwrznyg ...

Absolutely certainly bad signs. Its got an absolute ****load of
pending reallocatable sectors, 456, and its clearly been dropped.

What type of drop? A big drop or a small drop?

The SMART report doesn???t say, its just a count.

Ah.

There is one undefined field in the SMART report, I
spose that might possibly be the max G shock its seen
or something. Haven't researched that with that drive tho.

I will have to ask if he dropped it hard.

So, I ran a short test and it passed. Long test twice, it failed at
90%.
This sounds scary to me. What do you guys think?

She's dead Jim, you still into necrophilia ?

You love saying that. :P

I got that from your NSA report

Prove it.

If I did that, I'd have to kill you, again.

For now, I told him to use his MBP at his own risk and not
to do any more backups to Time Machine drive just in case
but do back up to external USB flash drives or so for now.

If the drive is dying,

No if about it.

OK.

what is a good replacement in case Apple won't replace
it due to recent expired AppleCare on 9/17/2015

But it may have been covered when it was dropped.

We'll see... He doesn't want Apple to have his old
HDD since they don't return it to the owner.

OK, pretty cheap to just buy a new one for the privacy.

Yeah, he doesn't want his data in the Apple store
even if it was encrypted, formatted, DBanned, etc.

OK, it doesn’t cost much to be that secure.

and planning in advance.

Not clear what you mean there.

Apple might not replace it for free
and he has to get his own replacement.

Since he doesn't want Apple to keep the drive,
best to just by a new one. They don't cost much.

Yeah, and Apple would swap with another
slow 5400 RPM HDD instead of a SSD.

Yeah, makes sense to get a faster SSD and
better handling of him dropping stuff.