HDTV as computer monitor: feasiblity?

Old August 30th 04, 03:03 PM
maggot

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 16:59:38 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

Then rig it for silent running.

No, I like using my Viewsonic N6 just fine, thx. It also upscales the
image as high as 1280x1024. I tired the internal TV Tuner method
already and it is inferior to the N6 method. And as someone else
pointed out already I can connect an X-Box or PS2 and play it on my
computer monitor. But I doubt I'll do that as console games are not my
bag.
Old August 30th 04, 04:36 PM
J. Clarke

maggot wrote:

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 16:59:38 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

I'm not trying to be argumentative but I've never understood the appeal of
such devices as the N6.

Then rig it for silent running.

No, I like using my Viewsonic N6 just fine, thx. It also upscales the
image as high as 1280x1024.

Is that just a comment or are you saying that that's somehow an advantage?
If an advantage I have no trouble upscaling to the maximum resolution of
any monitor I attach.

I tired the internal TV Tuner method
already and it is inferior to the N6 method.

Inferior in what way? And what were you using for a capture board? I doubt
that Viewsonic makes their own chips for the thing, which means that they
use the same Conexant or Brooktree or Phillips chip as everybody else.

And as someone else
pointed out already I can connect an X-Box or PS2 and play it on my
computer monitor.

What prevents you from doing this with any capture board that has composite
or S-video inputs? Heck, you don't need a tuner, all you need is a VIVO
board for that.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Old August 30th 04, 05:58 PM
Wblane

If the HDTV is CRT based what kind of refresh rates are we talking here? 60Hz?
For text doesn't 60Hz introduce an annoying flicker? If not 60Hz what are the
refresh rates for all the native resolutions of HDTV? Do ATI drivers (and/or
games) support HDTV resolutions?
Old August 30th 04, 11:30 PM
maggot

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 11:36:58 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

I'm not trying to be argumentative but I've never understood the appeal of
such devices as the N6.

Features

Experience high-definition video or TV on an LCD, CRT or projection
display
Enjoy up to 181 channels of high-resolution TV (1280x1024) at full
screen in 24-bit color. Simply connect the NextVision N6 to your
antenna or cable feed; or connect to your satellite, cable box or HDTV
set-top-box and enjoy precision scaled HDTV on your display or
projector.

Create and view digital content on your high-resolution display
The NextVision N6 is compatible with industry-standard digital cameras
and camcorders through its multiple video input connections. You can
view your own video content in multiple resolutions up to 1280x1024.

Enjoy full-screen, high-definition video entertainment with or without
your PC
Simply connect your DVD, VCR or gaming console to the NextVision N6
and enjoy your favorite movies on your high-resolution display or
projector. The NextVision N6 provides component video (YPbPr),
S-video, composite (RCA) video connectors, audio pass-through and
front-panel headphone support with or without your PC.

Advanced scaling technology, reverse 3:2 pull down and digital 3-D
comb filter
The NextVision N6 provides reverse 3:2 pull down correction that
eliminates jitter from DVD movies that originated from motion picture
film. A digital 3-D comb filter, motion and adaptive de-interlacing
improves the clarity and sharpness of the video image.

TV/Video input compatibility
480i, 480p, 576p, 720p, 1080i

RGB output capability
640x480, 800x600, 852x480, 1024x768, 1280x720, 1280x768, 1280x1024

Picture-in-picture viewing
When connected to a PC you can view a video or TV window over your
data screen.

Closed caption technology*
Displays text overlay of spoken audio over video.

SAP/MTS Stereo*
Allows the reception of audio other than main programming audio.

Parental control*
Built-in V chip allows controlled programming based on a selected
rating system.

RGB computer pass-through
Watch TV or enjoy your DVD movie without turning on your computer.

Auto tuning
Auto tuning of TV broadcast and cable TV channels.

Sleep timer
Built-in sleep timer automatically shuts off display at pre-determined
times.

Easy connection and control
The NextVision N6 is an external plug-and-play table-top configuration
requiring no software drivers or internal computer installation.

Convenient 28-key remote control

Old August 31st 04, 12:34 AM
J. Clarke

Wblane wrote:

If the HDTV is CRT based what kind of refresh rates are we talking here?
60Hz? For text doesn't 60Hz introduce an annoying flicker? If not 60Hz
what are the refresh rates for all the native resolutions of HDTV? Do ATI
drivers (and/or games) support HDTV resolutions?

The ATI boards can output HDTV resolutions using component or DVI outputs,
but you may need a third party utility called "Powerstrip" to set them.

Using DVI the refresh rate set in the video board is pretty much irrelevant
as the signal goes through a DAC in the set.

Further, TV sets tend to have higher persistence phosphors than CRT
monitors.

The bottom line is that I've not noticed any flicker using a TV for computer
output--the resolution has always been the issue and HD resolves that.

Old August 31st 04, 12:53 AM
J. Clarke

wrote:

I'm not trying to be argumentative but I've never understood the appeal of
such devices as the N6.

Features

cut and paste from ad copy snipped

Still don't understand the appeal. Take the price of the N6 plus the price
of a computer monitor and you can get an HDTV set that does the same thing
and displays 1920x1080 insted of 1280x1024. If you want a TV that's a
better choice.

Old August 31st 04, 05:17 AM
GMAN

wrote:

[...]

The main point here is that it allows one to eliminate having to have the
computer on and being used as a pass thru to do the above.

Old August 31st 04, 05:19 AM
GMAN

wrote:

I'm not trying to be argumentative but I've never understood the appeal of
such devices as the N6.

Features

cut and paste from ad copy snipped

Still don't understand the appeal. Take the price of the N6 plus the price
of a computer monitor and you can get an HDTV set that does the same thing
and displays 1920x1080 insted of 1280x1024. If you want a TV that's a
better choice.

The appeal being that if you own a projector it makes a very nice tuner to add
to the projector. I own a proxima projector and using a vcr for a tuner just
doesnt cut it. These N6 boxes have 3D comb filtering , video scaling, etc that
makes the 7 foot wide image shine.

Old August 31st 04, 05:48 AM
maggot

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 19:53:20 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

Still don't understand the appeal. Take the price of the N6 plus the price
of a computer monitor and you can get an HDTV set that does the same thing
and displays 1920x1080 insted of 1280x1024. If you want a TV that's a
better choice.

But the whole point was that he wants a TV and a monitor that can
display text well. The N6 solves that problem. Buying an HDTV doesn't.
And using an Xbox through a TV Tuner card requires one to have the
computer on and use overlay mode. That's not the same as displaying
directly to the monitor without having to have the computer and the
console on at the same time.