Is Athlon XP 1700+ much cooler than Athlon 1300?

Old July 8th 03, 02:45 PM
robc

Default Is Athlon XP 1700+ much cooler than Athlon 1300?

My Athlon 1300 (t-Bird?) is running a little hot, touching 81degC
under load.

I was wondering about buying a better cooler, but thought for around
the same money I could get an XP 1700+

So:
- will it be much cooler? It seems early ones were rated around 50
, but I gather the current model has a t-bird 'b' core
@1.6V, and I don't know the power usage for this.
- can I use it with 133Mhz SDRAM, not DDR. I guess i'll have to dig
out more details about my motherboard aswell.

ta,

rob
Old July 8th 03, 03:50 PM
Alien Zord

"robc" wrote in message
om...
My Athlon 1300 (t-Bird?) is running a little hot, touching 81degC
under load.

I was wondering about buying a better cooler, but thought for around
the same money I could get an XP 1700+

So:
- will it be much cooler? It seems early ones were rated around 50
, but I gather the current model has a t-bird 'b' core
@1.6V, and I don't know the power usage for this.
- can I use it with 133Mhz SDRAM, not DDR. I guess i'll have to dig
out more details about my motherboard aswell.

Thunderbird 1300: 68.3W max
Thoroughbred A 1700+: 49.4W max
Thoroughbred B 1700+: 59.8W max

Old July 10th 03, 04:27 PM
robc

it's a Molex radial fin cooler, it was supposed to be adequate but was
a few degrees hotter than the supplied cheapo cooler from new, and the
temperature has crept up since as dust has blocked the fins, I guess.
It's got a copper core with alumnium fins. I bought it for quietness,
my PC sounded like a helicopter before.

I think my motherboard is no good for an XP (Gigabyte GA-7ZX) so looks
like i'll go for a new cooler. I gather the Zalman flower is good and
still quiet. I'll look at the case fans too.

cheers,

rob

kony wrote in message . ..
On 8 Jul 2003 06:45:07 -0700, (robc) wrote:

My Athlon 1300 (t-Bird?) is running a little hot, touching 81degC
under load.

I was wondering about buying a better cooler, but thought for around
the same money I could get an XP 1700+

So:
- will it be much cooler? It seems early ones were rated around 50
, but I gather the current model has a t-bird 'b' core
, and I don't know the power usage for this.
- can I use it with 133Mhz SDRAM, not DDR. I guess i'll have to dig
out more details about my motherboard aswell.

ta,

rob

What cooler are you using? I'm going to assume it's a pretty poor
cooler, or very hot ambient temps, else the CPU temp would be lower.
Is it copper or aluminum on the bottom? I suspect aluminum, which is
sub-optimal for current generations of Thoroughbred Athlon XP.

Your T-Bird has a larger core interface to the heatsink. Swapping in
a CPU that produces a little less heat but significantly smaller core
to heatsink interface isn't a good solution, it might even run HOTTER.

Whether you replace the CPU or not, you probably need a new heatsink
and/or more case airflow.

Dave