router cannot see Brother printer

Old May 22nd 14, 01:41 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Sylvia M[_2_]

Default router cannot see Brother printer

My husband's laptop is wireless in the adjoining room.
I've tried all of the approaches I can. This has happened before, and
I'm sure the ID numbers are correct.
Any other possibilities?
Router is a Linksys Wireless-C Broadband router.
He does get internet, so the modem is not the problem.

T.I.A

Sylvia

Old May 22nd 14, 12:10 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
David H. Lipman

From: "Sylvia M"

My husband's laptop is wireless in the adjoining room.
I've tried all of the approaches I can. This has happened before, and I'm
sure the ID numbers are correct.
Any other possibilities?
Router is a Linksys Wireless-C Broadband router.
He does get internet, so the modem is not the problem.

This is a networking problem so you are going to have to supply more
information.

* What are the models of the Brother and Linksys ?
* What is the network subnet ?
* What is the IP of the Router, Printer and computer(s) ?
* How is the Printer connected to the network ?

You said... "I'm sure the ID numbers are correct".
What do you mean by ID numbers ?

--
Dave
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

Old May 23rd 14, 06:26 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Sylvia M[_2_]

news
From: "Sylvia M"

My husband's laptop is wireless in the adjoining room.
I've tried all of the approaches I can. This has happened before,
and I'm sure the ID numbers are correct.
Any other possibilities?
Router is a Linksys Wireless-C Broadband router.
He does get internet, so the modem is not the problem.

This is a networking problem so you are going to have to supply more
information.

* What are the models of the Brother and Linksys ?
* What is the network subnet ?
* What is the IP of the Router, Printer and computer(s) ?
* How is the Printer connected to the network ?

You said... "I'm sure the ID numbers are correct".
What do you mean by ID numbers ?

--
Dave
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

By ID numbers (sloppy thinking) I guess I meant the numbers below that
LinkSys gave me, as I went through that process several days ago, with
no success.

Brother Printer is MFC5860CN
It is connected to the Power surge protector for power, and to one of
the USB ports in LinkSys

LinkSys Wireless-C Broadband with 4 point switch: Model #WRT54GS Y7

So I went to ProgramsLinksys, and I'm trying from here...
Lynksys window "sees" the following Network:

Router:
iwant2play is password
192.168.1.1
00-1A-70-fd-7F-92

BROTHER MFC:
IP address: 192.168.1.100
MAC Address: 00-80-77-B8-AC-03

Hp desktop
IP address 192.168.1.100
MAC Address: 00-15-F2-AB-17-13

Dell Laptop
IP address 192.168.1.101
MAC Address: 66-16-CF-3E-B4-C3

LinkSys Status is saying ! in a yellow triangle, "Problem!
Internet connection is not working"
(no surprise)

It offers to "Fix Connection"

Yes, all connected, all lights necessary are on
pulled both power adapters, waited, started;

Linksys tried to connect to internet, claimed no internet connection,
No Joy! But I can send and receive email and go onto web, and so can
the laptop in the next room.!.

Did I mention that we can use the printer to scan and print from
scanner?
When I just now went to printer, hit menu button , and went to LAN,
I have some options that might be involved.
I can setup IP/TCP, 1 BOOT Method ,or IP Address or Subnet Mask or
set up misc.....OMG too many choices ;-) Also I'm running back and
forth from PC to printer display, and the option window goes off in
between.

Dave, can this be where the problem can be fixed? Do I need to check how
one of the above (or something else) is programmed at the printer end?

Thank you for responding,

Sylvia

Old May 23rd 14, 12:56 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
David H. Lipman

From: "Sylvia M"

[...]

Without going deep into the post I found two problems.

NEVER, ever, EVER, post a password *ANYWHERE* !

The Brother and the HP desktop have the same IP address. All IP addresses
on a Local Area Network (LAN) must be unique between (in this scenario)
192.168.1.2 ~ 192.168.1.254.

{ I will return to this thread later in the day }

Old May 23rd 14, 11:36 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Sylvia M[_2_]

From: "Sylvia M"

[...]

My bad, the Hp desktop ends 101;
That is 192.168.1.101
Sylvia

Old May 24th 14, 01:04 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
David H. Lipman

From: "Sylvia M"

From: "Sylvia M"

[...]

Why is the Linksys Router connect via USB to the Brother ?

You stated...

"Dell Laptop
IP address 192.168.1.101
MAC Address: 66-16-CF-3E-B4-C3 "

So there still is an IP conflict.

Old May 24th 14, 01:41 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Sylvia M[_2_]

From: "Sylvia M"

From: "Sylvia M"

[...]

Sigh
According to LinkSys,
Printer's IP address: 192.168.1.100
Laptop 192.168 1.101
Desktop 192.168.1.102
BUT
Printer sez it's IP is 192.168.001.100, yes, with third set of digits
001, not 1.
Is this different? should I change the IP #s on the printer?

Old May 24th 14, 11:26 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
David H. Lipman

From: "Sylvia M"

From: "Sylvia M"

From: "Sylvia M"

[...]

192.168.001.100 == 192.168.1.100

Leading zeros are not significant and be considered placeholders only.

Open a Command Prompt from trhe POV of the laptop

In the Command Prompt window type,

ping 192.168.1.100
ping 192.168.1.1

Now repeat the process from the POV of the desktop

Open a Command Prompt from trhe POV of the laptop

In the Command Prompt window type,

ping 192.168.1.100
ping 192.168.1.1

What are the results from the Laptop and what are the results from the
dekstop ?

Old May 25th 14, 01:57 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Sylvia M[_2_]

From: "Sylvia M"

From: "Sylvia M"

From: "Sylvia M"

[...]

Open a Command Prompt from the POV of the laptop

In the Command Prompt window type,

ping 192.168.1.100
ping 192.168.1.1

Now repeat the process from the POV of the desktop

Open a Command Prompt from trhe POV of the laptop

In the Command Prompt window type,

ping 192.168.1.100
ping 192.168.1.1

What are the results from the Laptop and what are the results from the
dekstop ?

--
Dave
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

POV of the laptop for ping 192.168.1.100:

Reply from 192.168.1.100: bytes = 32 time = 4ms TTL-60
Reply from 192.168.1.100: bytes = 32 time = 4ms TTL-60

Reply from 192.168.1.100: bytes = 32 time = 4ms TTL-60
Reply from 192.168.1.100: bytes = 32 time = 4ms TTL-60
Ping statististics for 192.168.1.100 :
Packets Sent = 4, Received =4, Lost = 0 , 0 loss.
Approximate round trip times in mili-seconds:
Minimum= 1ms Maximum = 4ms Average = 4ms

POV of the laptop for ping 192.168.1.1:
ping 192.168.1.1:

same as above

=======================================
POV Desktop for ping 192.168.1.100

Pinging 192.168.1.100 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.1.100: bytes = 32 time = 1ms TTL-60
Reply from 192.168.1.100: bytes = 32 time = 1ms TTL-60

Reply from 192.168.1.100: bytes = 32 time = 1ms TTL-60

Reply from 192.168.1.100: bytes = 32 time = 1ms TTL-60

Ping statististics for 192.168.1.100 :
Packets Sent = 4, Received =4, Lost = 0 ,0 loss.
Approximate round trip times in mili-seconds:
Minimum= 0ms Maximum = 1ms Average = 0ms

C::\Documents and Settings\HO-Administrator
POV Desktop for ping 192.168.1.1
same as above
?
Sylvia:

Old May 25th 14, 02:41 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
jeff g.

From: "Sylvia M"

From: "Sylvia M"

From: "Sylvia M"

[...]

you never answered the question:

Why is the Linksys Router connect via USB to the Brother ?