What type/combination of RAM modules

Old November 20th 06, 12:45 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Florian Lindner

Default What type/combination of RAM modules

Hello,
I have a Dell Inspiron 8600 laptop with a Pentium M 1,7 GHz:

/proc/cpuinfo:
processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 13
model name : Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.70GHz
stepping : 6
cpu MHz : 600.000
cache size : 2048 KB

Now I want to extend the memory from 512MB (2 x 265MB) to 1GB. The type of
memory is PC2700U (DDR333). The computer has two slots for memory modules.

- Do I have two use two identical RAM modules? Or can I just replace one
256MB with a 1GB module?

- Which form factor have the modules. I believe it's SO-DIMM 200 Pin, but
I'm not sure.

- Anything else to pay attention at when buying?

I have uploaded some pictures:

http://xgm.de/staticfiles/cimg0165.jpg
http://xgm.de/staticfiles/cimg0166.jpg
http://xgm.de/staticfiles/cimg0167.jpg
http://xgm.de/staticfiles/cimg0168.jpg
http://xgm.de/staticfiles/cimg0169.jpg

Thanks,

Florian
Old November 20th 06, 11:24 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
George Macdonald

http://www.crucial.com/store/listpar...on+8600+Series

--
Rgds, George Macdonald
Old November 21st 06, 12:00 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Tony Hill

wrote:

Hello,
I have a Dell Inspiron 8600 laptop with a Pentium M 1,7 GHz:

/proc/cpuinfo:
processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 13
model name : Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.70GHz
stepping : 6
cpu MHz : 600.000
cache size : 2048 KB

Now I want to extend the memory from 512MB (2 x 265MB) to 1GB. The type of
memory is PC2700U (DDR333). The computer has two slots for memory modules.

For all your memory question:

www.crucial.com

Just plug in your brand, series and model of computer and it will spit
out exactly what will and won't work. More specifically, for your
system:

http://www.crucial.com/store/listpar...on+8600+Series

- Do I have two use two identical RAM modules? Or can I just replace one
256MB with a 1GB module?

A single 1GB module will do the trick.

- Which form factor have the modules. I believe it's SO-DIMM 200 Pin, but
I'm not sure.

DDR SO-DIMM.

- Anything else to pay attention at when buying?

Yes, if you are in doubt at all, go to Crucial and get something that
will definitely work. However, beyond that, most 1GB, unbuffered,
non-ECC, DDR SO-DIMM modules should work. Memory chip density (ie is
the module made with 1Gbit or 2Gbit chips or something else) is
probably is not an issue at the moment, though it likely will be at
some point in the future.
Tony Hill
hilla underscore 20 at yahoo dot ca