God bless my 9800 Pro

Old November 29th 04, 04:16 PM
mhicaoidh

Taking a moment's reflection, Wblane mused:

| No it doesn't. In Far Cry it'll run like a dog, ditto for Doom3. Try
| playing Doom3 at 800x600 high quality, 2xAA and 8xAF then tell me how
| great the Ti4600 is. The TI4600 is TWO generations (at least) behind
| current tech. The 9800 Pro is at least one gen behind current tech.

My old GF4 Ti4400 ran Far Cry and Doom 3 just fine at 1024x768 with High
settings. AA and AF are not "necessary" for quality game play.

Old November 29th 04, 04:19 PM
mhicaoidh

Taking a moment's reflection, JLC mused:

| Have you ran a test when outdoors? I get great fps when indoors or in
| places like Ravenhood, but when I was in the airboat out in those huge
| areas, I was getting around 7-10fps!

Huge areas? HL2? Even when you can see the sky you are limited to a
street or canal. HL2 is just one big (small actually and unfortunately)
maze.

Old December 6th 04, 03:57 PM

Look at page 3 again.

I did, they tested a whole range of cards including a FX5900XT, and

it
was **** in DX9.

They used a 6200 for the tests.

One of many cards.

They dare not
use a 6800
The 6200 is the bottom of the barrel and not just for PCIx.

They didn't use the high end ATI cards either. There isn't a DX9
problem with the latest NVidia cards, it was just the FX series that
were crap at it.

Was that the point? I kind of missed any connection to the 6800 on
those pages. Mainly it appears to be a test of lower end cards, so the
X800 or 6800 aren't discussed. So the original poster was saying that
because an older card is bad with DX9, then the new ones are too? I
guess I don't follow nonsense very well...thanks for clearing that up.

Old December 6th 04, 10:24 PM
McGrandpa

wrote in message
oups.com
[...]

Not JUST an older card, any Nvidia FX gpu card. See there was a
difference in what ATI came out with and what Nvidia came out with FOR
the DX9 spec. The specification was for 16 and 24 bit floating point
math for the 2.0 pixel shaders. ATI produced that. Nvidia produced
their GPU with floating point precision for 16 and 32 bit, which seemed
more logical to them than 24 bit. And Valve, good ol Valve, wouldn't
ya know it...instead of simply forcing 16 bit precision for ALL calls
for the FX just flat out deleted the FX series from using DX9 in HL2.
McG.