[486 PVI/SP3 mainboard] need pci graphics card with dvi connector

Old February 15th 07, 11:08 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
[email protected]

Default [486 PVI/SP3 mainboard] need pci graphics card with dvi connector

hi,

i own an old 486 pvi sp3 mainboard from asus. since i bought a new tft
i want to connect the 486 through dvi.
the main problem is finding a pci graphics card that has a dvi
connector and which is working together with
that board (since now i'm using a matrox mystique pci in that
computer; anyway a diamond viper v330 works, too).

tried so far a geforce 5200 and a matrox g450. but the 486 won't boot
with these cards. there is no post, no beeps.
what is causing the 486 not to boot? could somebody please help me?

thanks in advance!

Old February 15th 07, 11:59 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
DaveW

What you are trying to do, in short, is not possible.

--
--------
DaveW
oups.com...

Old February 16th 07, 02:20 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Tex Shalter

Not quite sure I know what you're asking, but it sounds like you maybe need
to uninstall old video drivers.
. ..

Old February 16th 07, 03:46 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
default

wrote in message
oups.com...
hi,

i own an old 486 pvi sp3 mainboard from asus. since i bought a new tft
i want to connect the 486 through dvi.
the main problem is finding a pci graphics card that has a dvi
connector and which is working together with
that board (since now i'm using a matrox mystique pci in that
computer; anyway a diamond viper v330 works, too).

tried so far a geforce 5200 and a matrox g450. but the 486 won't boot
with these cards. there is no post, no beeps.
what is causing the 486 not to boot? could somebody please help me?

It doesn't boot due to a bug in the old Award 4.5 bios core that Asus used
that causes it to not boot if the video card has more than 32MB of video
RAM. 32MB is probably fine, 64 or more is definately not. You probably
will not find a fix for this. Unfortunately cards with 32MB or less usually
don't have DVI ports on them so I think you won't be succesful. You'll have
to live with using a VGA port.

Old February 16th 07, 07:14 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
[email protected]

Default need pci graphics card with dvi connector

ok. and that is why?

Old February 16th 07, 08:51 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Anssi Saari

"default" writes:

It doesn't boot due to a bug in the old Award 4.5 bios core that Asus used
that causes it to not boot if the video card has more than 32MB of video
RAM. 32MB is probably fine, 64 or more is definately not.

Interesting, I never heard that, but then I never tried a 486 with
more than 32MB video RAM... Probably no more than 2 or 4 MB back then.

Unfortunately cards with 32MB or less usually
don't have DVI ports on them so I think you won't be succesful. You'll have
to live with using a VGA port.

Google for pci vga dvi 32mb finds at least Matrox Millennium G450 PCI
and ATI Radeon 7000 cards. I actually had that Matrox years ago. These
cards should still be findable.
Old February 16th 07, 12:52 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
[email protected]

On 16 Feb., 09:51, Anssi Saari wrote:
"default" writes:
It doesn't boot due to a bug in the old Award 4.5 bios core that Asus used
that causes it to not boot if the video card has more than 32MB of video
RAM. 32MB is probably fine, 64 or more is definately not.

Interesting, I never heard that, but then I never tried a 486 with
more than 32MB video RAM... Probably no more than 2 or 4 MB back then.

Unfortunately cards with 32MB or less usually
don't have DVI ports on them so I think you won't be succesful. You'll have
to live with using a VGA port.

Google for pci vga dvi 32mb finds at least Matrox Millennium G450 PCI
and ATI Radeon 7000 cards. I actually had that Matrox years ago. These
cards should still be findable.

thank you very much for your reply, i have already tested a matrox
g450 with 32mb ram, with no success.
i'll try to find a g450 with 16mb