PC Media Center build component choice questions

Old April 27th 05, 09:18 PM

Default PC Media Center build component choice questions

all,

I am building a WIndows Media Center PC. The primary use will be to rip the
hundreds of CDs I have collected over the years. Then use WIndows media
player to play the ripped (wma loss less) files through my stereo system. I
am building a Shuttle XPC SB61G2BV4. I have built a number of these systems
in the
past and have always had good luck. Since all the systems in the past have
been used for business the on-board audio has been fine. In this system I
want to use an Audigy 2 from creative labs. My question is about SPDIF. On
the creative web site it says both the Value and the 2 ZS have SPDIF but
there
is an asterisk on the Value sheet something about an add on, but I can't
tell
if the add on is just for the external box or what - none of the photos are
detailed enough to figure out what is going on.

Maybe I don't even need SPDIF I don't know enough about audio to know if I
can just use the left - right line outs and that will be good enough to play
ripped CD tracks. I plan on using an ATI clone AGP card. ATI makes an
adapter to go from DVI to HD Component. I'll use my Sony XBR HD for the
display when running the windows media player

If anyone is using an Audigy 2 Value or can point me to a review I'd
appreciate it. The cost difference isn't that much but I really don't need
or
want the Fire wire that comes with the 2 ZS

Dan