Intel guy looking the AMD direction for the first time.

Old November 13th 04, 02:01 AM
Antec

Yes i changed to the x64.
Just as soon as i could work out if Intel were
Or were not going to have a x64 at a reasonable price.
That would run the new Windows x64 OS but after
they opted not to go ahead with the Prescott and its apparent x64 extensions
I went AMD for the first time and am far from disappointed.
I used the Gigabyte GA - K8VNXP MOBO and a socket 754 3700+ and it is a gem
of a computer
So that i have nothing slowing the machine down I also installed a GeCube
ATI x800 Platinum.
The machine feels bullet proof and I have had no compatibilities problems
I run it as a media centre with 2 x 200GB SATA 7200 A Leadtek Digital TV
Tuner And 2 X 120GB Seagate ATE 7200 for the OS Samsung 8x DVD Burner Dual
layer & 52XDVD Combo drive for copying DVD's direct and the system has yet
to falter no lockups no BSOD boots super fast and loads all software on
demand.

I say "and i am not being bias" Definately go 64 BIT Go AMD x64.

"Kenneth Farmer" wrote in message
om...
"Bobby" wrote in message
Tony - Great post. One to save I think. Cheers.

Bobby

"Tony Hill" wrote in message
On 12 Sep 2004 19:08:38 -0700, (No spam)
wrote:

Hello everyone. I am looking to buy a new desktop PC. I currently have
a Compaq Pentium 3 733 MHz desktop and a Dell 2.0 GHz Celeron laptop.

[snip]

Now I am looking to buy a new desktop and I am looking for the best
new technology. I am very interested in 64 bit technology. I know
Intel has had Itanium and Itanium II but as I understand it those are
not for consumers.

You can safely ignore the Itanium line, it's definitely NOT what
you're going to be looking for. First off, it's not software
compatible with existing applications, requiring emulation to run all
your current code. What's probably more important though is that
you'll have a heck of a time finding an Itanium system for less than
$20,000.

[snip]

Just to bring that $20K back to reality...entry-level HP Integrity
rx1600's
can be gotten for $2800+/- from HP.

Ken

____________________________________
Ken Farmer
LinuxHPC.org.
http://www.LinuxHPC.org

Old November 13th 04, 10:25 PM
Mark Hahn

Just to bring that $20K back to reality...entry-level HP Integrity rx1600's
can be gotten for $2800+/- from HP.

no '-' there, you're talking about a ridiculously stripped machine
with a single, extremely low-end processor (much slower than an
entry-level AMD, for instance). and 512M for crying out loud!
no hard drive at all, no management card that anyone buying a
server would demand. frigging 1-year warranty!

configure it up to a sane if slow server (8GB ram, 3-yr, second
cpu, pair of disks) and you're up to $15K. again, this winds up
being a machine which will not hold a candle to a similarly configured
opteron for less than half the price.
Old November 15th 04, 02:43 AM
Kenneth Farmer

"Mark Hahn" wrote in message
Just to bring that $20K back to reality...entry-level HP Integrity

rx1600's
can be gotten for $2800+/- from HP.

no '-' there, you're talking about a ridiculously stripped machine
with a single, extremely low-end processor (much slower than an
entry-level AMD, for instance). and 512M for crying out loud!
no hard drive at all, no management card that anyone buying a
server would demand. frigging 1-year warranty!

configure it up to a sane if slow server (8GB ram, 3-yr, second
cpu, pair of disks) and you're up to $15K. again, this winds up
being a machine which will not hold a candle to a similarly configured
opteron for less than half the price.

Mark,

I've obviously hit a nerve. Certainly not intended. The mentioned price
was just a bit overboard. Once again...

rx1600's start at $2800+/-. I'm not any recommendations, I'm just pointing
out that $20K is a stretch.

Ken