fan noise ti4800

Old August 23rd 03, 06:25 AM
Me

Default fan noise ti4800

Dry or worn bearing in the fan(s)
Replace them.

"John" wrote in message
Has anyone had this problem
I boot the machine video card fan makes a grinding
noise when windows loads no more noise
fan works fine
I have seen the same thing with chipset fan

Old August 24th 03, 01:28 AM
Me

Ok then, the fan is a variable speed one.
At boot up it's running at full speed and is loud.
As Windows kicks into the desktop the driver/card bios takes over and slows
the fan.
You may notice that the noise increases if the card gets warm.

"John" wrote in message
New card straight out of the box and have seen it with other systems.
Why I ask is because it may not be a fan thing
at the same point the fan noise stops
as windows xp loads if the fan was faulty the noise would be consistent

Old August 24th 03, 04:22 AM
Bob Byrne

John wrote:
New card straight out of the box and have seen it with other systems.
Why I ask is because it may not be a fan thing
at the same point the fan noise stops
as windows xp loads if the fan was faulty the noise would be consistent

I get that same noise at boot with my ASUS GF3 Ti500 that I bought 2nd
hand. It's as quite as a mouse once XP is up and running. I'll wait and see
what happens when the warmer months approach, I'm not convinced this
has a dual speed fan.

--
Bob

Old August 24th 03, 02:38 PM
BEK

I had what I describe as a loud whining sound every morning with a cold boot
from my GeForce3 Ti500. This began happening within a few weeks of receiving
shipment of the pc from Dell. I pretty much ignored it for several months
but gradually this loud whining or grinding lasted for longer and longer
with each boot. Then, when the sound began popping up at random times
throughout the day and lasting sometimes for 10 minutes or more, I called
Tech support and they sent me out a new card with tech....GeForce4 Ti4600.

I had tried to lift the sticker on the fan to find a place to apply a drop
of oil, but there was nothing under the sticker but solid plastic....nothing
I could see to oil. As you can probably tell I'm no expert on video cards.

When tech removed the old card, he said it felt much hotter than it should
but didn't offer any explanations.

Dell, the onsite tech and I all agreed however, that this was NOT normal.
Wish I could be of more help but since over the months I have seen quite a
few posts about this same problem in GF3 cards, I would guess it's a known
problem with the fans.

BEK

Old August 24th 03, 04:46 PM
Me

I still reckon that it's caused by the bearings being noisy on the card.

Take the fan off the card and apply a tiny drop of oil to the bearing.
Lift the sticker to find the bearing cover. If it's not under the one side
of the fan then simply turn it over and look at the other side.

Not all GeForce cards use variable fans.

"John" wrote in message
Has anyone had this problem
I boot the machine video card fan makes a grinding
noise when windows loads no more noise
fan works fine
I have seen the same thing with chipset fan

Help Me Find the Noise Marshall Lake General 5 February 10th 04 06:17 PM
Electronic noise from P2B? jbclem Asus Motherboards 7 October 31st 03 10:16 AM
Harddisk spinning noise Shep© General 9 October 19th 03 10:07 PM
a7n8x dlx and sound (noise) problems Beemer Biker Asus Motherboards 1 August 5th 03 02:33 PM
Monitor Crackling Noise again Michael General 1 July 22nd 03 10:43 AM