Need help connecting pc to tv

Old August 22nd 03, 04:41 AM
Anthony C

Default Need help connecting pc to tv

Ok, first let me say what i have

i have a Geforce MX 440 with the monitor plug and an S-video output

on the back of my tv, i have a 32" JVC for those who are interested. I have
an S-video input. What i tried to do was turn off the pc, bring my PC w/o
monitor over to the tv, plug the s-video cable into my pc and into the tv,
and i couldnt get any video on the tv at all.

That was my first thought, before i did any research at all. Now im reading
that it can really only be done with ATI cards, that i need a "displays" tab
on my displayssettingsadvanced section. I've read that i need to change
things in the bios, so im lost, it CANT be THAT hard to do what i want to
do, i just need a little help...any input is appreciated in advanced

Old August 22nd 03, 07:49 AM
Gary Sinnott

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 23:41:06 -0400, "Anthony C"
wrote:

Ok, first let me say what i have

i have a Geforce MX 440 with the monitor plug and an S-video output

on the back of my tv, i have a 32" JVC for those who are interested. I have
an S-video input. What i tried to do was turn off the pc, bring my PC w/o
monitor over to the tv, plug the s-video cable into my pc and into the tv,
and i couldnt get any video on the tv at all.

That was my first thought, before i did any research at all. Now im reading
that it can really only be done with ATI cards, that i need a "displays" tab
on my displayssettingsadvanced section. I've read that i need to change
things in the bios, so im lost, it CANT be THAT hard to do what i want to
do, i just need a little help...any input is appreciated in advanced

Only with ATI? Where on earth did you get that from?? I've not
really had much experience with any problems in this field because...

I've got 3 PCs here with GF cards in - a 256 Ultra VIVO (original
model), GF3 Ultra VIVO and a GF4 440MX VO. All work fine on our 32"
widescreen - the 256 even booted to TV w/out a monitor attached. I
presume this is what you want to do?

I've never had to change any BIOS settings unless messing about with
PCI + AGP cards so you shouldn't be having any problems there (unless
your MX is integrated with the MOBO).

Do you have a GeForce tab in your advanced section? There should
(depending on version of drivers - the newer the better) be a section
for Device Selection - this will give you some access to the TV side
of the card's output.

One thing to try is to hang the monitor off the system when it's
hooked to the TV. If you still get nothing on it, check the settings
on the monitor - while both are connected. Do a "Detect Displays" to
make sure it knows the TV is there.

Gary

Reply to gary at data dot mildenhall dot com
Old August 22nd 03, 08:23 AM
Ron Merts

I'm assuming you have told the TV to use the S-video for input? I agree
with Gary, drag your monitor out there and see if you have video then use
the "Detect Displays" and make sure it sees the TV. What driver version are
you using for the video card? Anything after 30.28 should work for you
without much fuss as long as the TV is being detected properly.

Ron

Old August 23rd 03, 07:41 AM
Me

Maybe give this a try.

http://tvtool.info/index_e.htm

Old August 24th 03, 05:45 AM
Anthony C

I have read my video card AND my tv manuals from front to back, and nothing
is helpful in there, just a basic setup, which ive tried, and which has
failed, so im going to try s-video to RCA cables and see if it works that
way, i can pick one up at radio shack for a couple bucks, if that doesnt
work, im going to have a long distance throwing contest, if you get my point
;-)
"Anybody" wrote in message
. rogers.com...

"J.Clarke" wrote in message
On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 00:31:12 -0400
"Anthony C" wrote:

I hooked up pc with monitor near TV, plugged in s-video to tv and
video card, THEN turned on pc...

I was able to get into the settings tab and kinda set it up for TV,
but nothing on the TV, im wondering if there's anything I need to do
on the TV to set it up to "receive" the signal?

Your TV needs to be set to use the S-video port instead of the tuner.
Depending on your set this may be done just by tuning "Line 1" or "Line
2" or whatever or there might be a separate input selector.

My JVC has a setting that lets me either choose to use the rca inputs (of
which there are 3) or to switch one of the rca input to S-Video use, seems
one of them are shared somehow. Either way though, have you read the

manual
for the Dets you are using or for the TV by chance?

Old August 24th 03, 06:22 PM
Anthony C

im going to give this tv-tool thing you are reccomending, i have a tv next
to me here, not the one i want to connect to, but its easier than moving the
PC back and forth for trial and error, im probably goin to radio shack today

anyway, school starts on wednesday GAME DEVELOPMENT classes, WOOHOO!!!
"Me" wrote in message
Maybe give this a try.

http://tvtool.info/index_e.htm

Old August 24th 03, 10:13 PM
Me

Any luck yet ?

"Anthony C" wrote in message
im going to give this tv-tool thing you are reccomending, i have a tv next
to me here, not the one i want to connect to, but its easier than moving

the
PC back and forth for trial and error, im probably goin to radio shack

today

anyway, school starts on wednesday GAME DEVELOPMENT classes, WOOHOO!!!
"Me" wrote in message
Maybe give this a try.

http://tvtool.info/index_e.htm