Seriously, has anybody ever seen a serious virus problem in Windowswhen using AV protection?

Old March 23rd 10, 07:51 AM posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
RayLopez99

Default Seriously, has anybody ever seen a serious virus problem in Windowswhen using AV protection?

Seriously, has anybody seen--or even heard--of a serious virus
(including rootkit or malware) problem in Windows when using
commercial antivirus protection?

One of the claims of the Linux crowd is that such problems are
legion. But talking so some of the people at alt.comp.anti-virus I
get the impression such problems are rare.

Who is more right?

BTW, check out this PDF on AV softwa
http://www.google.com/url?sa=D&q=htt...eAjzJKL ymkDA

It compares 16 commercial programs, and finds Microsoft at #2,
catching 60% of all viruses (Avanti is #1 at 70%). And we're taking
about all viruses, some of which as so obscure I'm sure you'll never
seen one in the wild...

RL
Old March 23rd 10, 08:20 AM posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Peter Köhlmann[_3_]

RayLopez99 wrote:

Seriously, has anybody seen--or even heard--of a serious virus
(including rootkit or malware) problem in Windows when using
commercial antivirus protection?

Yes

One of the claims of the Linux crowd is that such problems are
legion. But talking so some of the people at alt.comp.anti-virus I
get the impression such problems are rare.

Who is more right?

So the estimate that around 30% of all windows computers are infected is
"rare problems"

BTW, check out this PDF on AV softwa
http://www.google.com/url?sa=D&q=http://www.av-

comparatives.org/images/stories/test/ondret/avc_report22.pdf&usg=AFQjCNEDInyvV2WgWDzeAWeAjzJKL ymkDA

It compares 16 commercial programs, and finds Microsoft at #2,
catching 60% of all viruses (Avanti is #1 at 70%). And we're taking
about all viruses, some of which as so obscure I'm sure you'll never
seen one in the wild...

In short, you brag about those new viruses found by AV software.
And then gallantly forget about those 31% to 86% *not* found.

That you are incredibly stupid has been proven time and again, the last
instances were your imbecile claims of "open source"

But this again shows that you are a lot dumber than dirt

And your problem obviously is that you are not just /acting/ dumb. You
*are* dumb. Incredibly dumb
--
I say you need to visit Clues 'R' Us. They are having a special on
slightly used clues.

Old March 23rd 10, 08:41 AM posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected] |

BTW, check out this PDF on AV softwahttp://www.google.com/url?sa=D&q=htt...ives.org/image...

It compares 16 commercial programs, and finds Microsoft at #2,
catching 60% of all viruses (Avanti is #1 at 70%). *And we're taking
about all viruses, some of which as so obscure I'm sure you'll never
seen one in the wild...

RL

What ever you do don't get Panda AV software, IMO.
Old March 23rd 10, 08:48 AM posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected] |

On Mar 23, 12:51*am, RayLopez99 wrote:
Seriously, has anybody seen--or even heard--of a serious virus
(including rootkit or malware) problem in Windows when using
commercial antivirus protection?

One of the claims of the Linux crowd is that such problems are
legion. *But talking so some of the people at alt.comp.anti-virus I
get the impression such problems are rare.

Who is more right?

BTW, check out this PDF on AV softwahttp://www.google.com/url?sa=D&q=htt...ives.org/image...

It compares 16 commercial programs, and finds Microsoft at #2,
catching 60% of all viruses (Avanti is #1 at 70%). *And we're taking
about all viruses, some of which as so obscure I'm sure you'll never
seen one in the wild...

RL

Pretty dismal results on the part of the payware AV programs.
~50 to 70 percent and that is being generous.
Old March 23rd 10, 08:52 AM posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Branimir Maksimovic

On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 00:51:55 -0700 (PDT)
RayLopez99 wrote:

It compares 16 commercial programs, and finds Microsoft at #2,
catching 60% of all viruses (Avanti is #1 at 70%). And we're taking
about all viruses, some of which as so obscure I'm sure you'll never
seen one in the wild...

Hm, download http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads,
make virtual machine file, install os.
Make backup of file.
Surf the interent in virtual machine.
After serf, erase virtual machine file. Restore from backup.
Rinse and repeat. No need for AV at all

Greets

--
http://maxa.homedns.org/

Sometimes online sometimes not

Old March 23rd 10, 09:11 AM posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
peterwn

On Mar 23, 8:51*pm, RayLopez99 wrote:
Seriously, has anybody seen--or even heard--of a serious virus
(including rootkit or malware) problem in Windows when using
commercial antivirus protection?

Yes. I had to clean up a Windows laptop last year despite things
being kept up to date and AV installed. The AV was bloody hopeless at
setecting it despite being kept up to date.

Old March 23rd 10, 09:17 AM posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Felis silvestris

On Tirsdag 23. mars 2010 09.20, Peter Köhlmann wrote:

RayLopez99 wrote:

Seriously, has anybody seen--or even heard--of a serious virus
(including rootkit or malware) problem in Windows when using
commercial antivirus protection?

Yes

*raises hand*
about 200 Windows desktops were knocked out at my latest $orkplace when
someone connected an infected laptop to the LAN. This was an office of one
of the world's largest outsourcing companies, well protected by commercial
AV systems.

It took the IT staff a few hours to clean up the mess. Unfortunately, we two
Linux users missed the opportunity to point out to the manglement that we
were able to continue working ...

One of the claims of the Linux crowd is that such problems are
legion. But talking so some of the people at alt.comp.anti-virus I
get the impression such problems are rare.

The incidence report from offices world wide was full of virus alerts and
attacks.

Old March 23rd 10, 09:28 AM posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Peter

In article 20100323095210.57062146@maxa, says...
RayLopez99 wrote:

It compares 16 commercial programs, and finds Microsoft at #2,
catching 60% of all viruses (Avanti is #1 at 70%). And we're taking
about all viruses, some of which as so obscure I'm sure you'll never
seen one in the wild...

Hm, download
http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads,
make virtual machine file, install os.
Make backup of file.
Surf the interent in virtual machine.
After serf, erase virtual machine file. Restore from backup.
Rinse and repeat. No need for AV at all

Have you heard of the expression, 'Using a sledgehammer to crack a
nut.'?

--
Pete Ives
Old March 23rd 10, 09:29 AM posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Branimir Maksimovic

RayLopez99 wrote:

It compares 16 commercial programs, and finds Microsoft at #2,
catching 60% of all viruses (Avanti is #1 at 70%). And we're
taking about all viruses, some of which as so obscure I'm sure
you'll never seen one in the wild...

Hm, download
http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads,
make virtual machine file, install os.
Make backup of file.
Surf the interent in virtual machine.
After serf, erase virtual machine file. Restore from backup.
Rinse and repeat. No need for AV at all

Have you heard of the expression, 'Using a sledgehammer to crack a
nut.'?

Remember alien 2 movie. They wanted to nuke whole planet to exterminate
aliens "to be sure"

Greets!

Old March 23rd 10, 11:33 AM posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Lusotec

RayLopez99 wrote:
Seriously, has anybody seen--or even heard--of a serious virus
(including rootkit or malware) problem in Windows when using
commercial antivirus protection?

Yes I have, *many* *many* times!

There is nothing rare about a machine running up-to-date free or commercial
anti-virus software and still be fully compromised, usually with several
species of serious malware (e.g. root kits, key loggers, spam bots, ransom
ware, egold stealer).

Fully updated anti-virus software like Avast, AVG, Kapersky, f-prot, Norton,
etc, are by no means a guarantee of safety against malware.

One of the claims of the Linux crowd is that such problems are
legion. But talking so some of the people at alt.comp.anti-virus I
get the impression such problems are rare.

You have a wrong impression about lots of subjects.

Who is more right?

You certainly are not.

BTW, check out this PDF on AV softwa
http://www.av-comparatives.org/images/stories/test/ondret/avc_report22.pdf

It compares 16 commercial programs, and finds Microsoft at #2,
catching 60% of all viruses (Avanti is #1 at 70%).

If the number one anti-virus catches *only* 70% of all viruses, then it lets
30% of them pass. That is just proof of failure, not success and definitely
not a rare occurrence.

And we're taking about all viruses, some of which as so obscure I'm sure
you'll never seen one in the wild...

The real problem are the new viruses, obviously, not known by the anti-virus
programs. The heuristics used by the anti-virus are also of little use to
detect new viruses since any capable virus developer can test his creation
against a good number of anti-virus and tweak the binary until it is not
detected.

Regards.