Driver Magician 3.4 free for today only

Old March 6th 09, 04:01 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000,comp.sys.laptops
BillW50

Default Driver Magician 3.4 free for today only

I heard lots of horror stories of people formatting their hard drives
and then reinstalling Windows. Then they pop on here looking for missing
drivers. And I often think if only they saved their drivers before
formatting everything would have been a lot easier.

One of the ones I like is called Driver Magician. And I noticed this one
is free for today on the giveawayoftheday website. So this is one I
would recommend for anybody who believes they will ever format their
hard drives someday. As it will save you a lot of trouble in the future.

http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/driver-magician-34/

--
Bill
2 Gateway MX6124 - Windows XP SP2

Old March 6th 09, 05:56 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000,comp.sys.laptops
olfart

"BillW50" wrote in message
I heard lots of horror stories of people formatting their hard drives and
then reinstalling Windows. Then they pop on here looking for missing
drivers. And I often think if only they saved their drivers before
formatting everything would have been a lot easier.

One of the ones I like is called Driver Magician. And I noticed this one
is free for today on the giveawayoftheday website. So this is one I would
recommend for anybody who believes they will ever format their hard drives
someday. As it will save you a lot of trouble in the future.

http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/driver-magician-34/

--
Bill
2 Gateway MX6124 - Windows XP SP2
3 Asus EEE PC 701G4 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC
2 Asus EEE PC 702G8 ~ 1GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC
Windows XP SP2 ~ Xandros Linux - Puppy - Ubuntu

thanks for the heads up

Old March 6th 09, 06:36 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000,comp.sys.laptops
olfart

"BillW50" wrote in message
I heard lots of horror stories of people formatting their hard drives and
then reinstalling Windows. Then they pop on here looking for missing
drivers. And I often think if only they saved their drivers before
formatting everything would have been a lot easier.

One of the ones I like is called Driver Magician. And I noticed this one
is free for today on the giveawayoftheday website. So this is one I would
recommend for anybody who believes they will ever format their hard drives
someday. As it will save you a lot of trouble in the future.

http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/driver-magician-34/

--
Bill
2 Gateway MX6124 - Windows XP SP2
3 Asus EEE PC 701G4 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC
2 Asus EEE PC 702G8 ~ 1GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC
Windows XP SP2 ~ Xandros Linux - Puppy - Ubuntu

might be a slight problem....if you do a fresh install of your O/S then you
will have to reinstall Driver Magician...which now won't activate. Also, of
course, if you saved the drivers anywhere on the HD, you will lose it by
formatting. So it would be best to copy the saved driver files to a CD and
not rely on the restore function of the program.

Old March 6th 09, 06:59 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000,comp.sys.laptops
BillW50

In ,
olfart typed on Fri, 6 Mar 2009 13:36:56 -0500:
"BillW50" wrote in message
[...]

Well actually, Driver Magician allows you to create an EXE file, so
reinstallation of Driver Magician isn't necessary. And once you activate
it, you don't need to ever do that again. Just open up Regedit and
search for Magician and then export it. And yes, always best to save on
something else other than the drive you plan on formatting.

Old March 6th 09, 11:06 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000,comp.sys.laptops
Barry Watzman

There is a problem, but that is not a good description of what it is.

The program has a way of "packaging" all of the drivers into a self
installing format that does not require Driver Magician on the system
being restored. This can then be saved off-line (external hard drive,
flash drive, optical media, whatever).

The real issue is that I want it for future use on other systems (of
mine) ... systems that may not even exist today. And they are not
giving you that. They are giving it to you only for use on the systems
that you have today and on which you activate it today.

Old March 6th 09, 11:20 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000,comp.sys.laptops
BillW50

In ,
Barry Watzman typed on Fri, 06 Mar 2009 18:06:51 -0500:

olfart wrote:

might be a slight problem....if you do a fresh install of your O/S
then you will have to reinstall Driver Magician...which now won't
activate. Also, of course, if you saved the drivers anywhere on the
HD, you will lose it by formatting. So it would be best to copy the
saved driver files to a CD and not rely on the restore function of
the program.

All true Barry, except the secret to activating it again is all in the
registry which I previously posted. This is your future activation if
you want to reinstall, which isn't necessary on the same machine anyway
if you create the EXE file.

Old March 6th 09, 11:20 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000,comp.sys.laptops
Ben Myers[_2_]

olfart wrote:

might be a slight problem....if you do a fresh install of your O/S
then you will have to reinstall Driver Magician...which now won't
activate. Also, of course, if you saved the drivers anywhere on the
HD, you will lose it by formatting. So it would be best to copy the
saved driver files to a CD and not rely on the restore function of the
program.

My main system here, this one, has a series of folders named after the
Dell systems I have worked on, e.g. Dimension4600, Inspiron5100, etc.
Each folder has the drivers needed for that specific model. When I get
to work on a given model again, I copy the appropriate folder onto a
flash stick and install drivers on the target computer from the stick.
This is not rocket science.

For the cost of a flash stick (Best Buy sold 8GB for under $20
recently), you get your Driver Magician unencumbered by any rules
imposed by the software... Ben Myers
Old March 7th 09, 12:00 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000,comp.sys.laptops
RnR[_2_]

olfart wrote:

[...]

I think what Barry might have in mind is a portable version of the
program so he can do the backup at any given time on any machine??
Of course I have no idea if that exists but I guess Google could find
it, if so.
Old March 7th 09, 01:30 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000,comp.sys.laptops
S.Lewis[_3_]

olfart wrote:

[...]

That's pretty much the way I do it also, Ben.

Old March 7th 09, 12:45 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000,comp.sys.laptops
SC Tom

olfart wrote:

[...]

That's also the way I do it. When I was working, I had the drivers for all
of our printers in separate folders on the network, and clones of the
different workstations. On my home desktop, I have a folder for my notebook
drivers, and on my notebook, the drivers for my desktop, AND a bootable CD
for each with drivers. (hey, paranoiacs have enemies, too, you know)

SC Tom