Turn off hardware mouse

Old March 4th 06, 08:21 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati

Default Turn off hardware mouse

I have a Radeon 9800. Is there a way to turn off hardware mouse cursor
from the Windows control panel? Or perhaps via some obscure API or
other method?

Old March 4th 06, 06:59 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati

I'm trying to take some screenshots with mouse cursor included. I read
that the hardware rendering of the mouse cursor is the reason for
screenshots never being able to pick up the cursor.

Old March 4th 06, 09:35 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati

Whether the cursor is captured will depend on the screen capture program.
Hitting PrintScreen always omits the cursor. With programs like Paint Shop
Pro or Hypersnap, there is the option to include the cursor, and it always
works, even on my Radeon, which accelerates both the cursor and the shadow.

oups.com...

Old March 5th 06, 12:37 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati

From what I've read it seems that the reason the cursor doesn't show up
is because it's rendered at the last minute by the hardware, and so
Windows API functions like GetPixel() or whatever most programs use to
take screenshots can't see the cursor. Programs like PSP fake it by
just getting the mouse coordinates, loading the graphic of the bitmap,
and painting the cursor onto the screen capture.

At any rate, I was just wondering if anyone knows some .ini file I can
edit or something that will tell my Radeon card not to draw the mouse
cursor in hardware.

First of One wrote:
Whether the cursor is captured will depend on the screen capture program.
Hitting PrintScreen always omits the cursor. With programs like Paint Shop
Pro or Hypersnap, there is the option to include the cursor, and it always
works, even on my Radeon, which accelerates both the cursor and the shadow.

oups.com...

Old March 5th 06, 06:32 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati

wrote in message
ups.com...
From what I've read it seems that the reason the cursor doesn't show up

is because it's rendered at the last minute by the hardware, and so
Windows API functions like GetPixel() or whatever most programs use to
take screenshots can't see the cursor. Programs like PSP fake it by
just getting the mouse coordinates, loading the graphic of the bitmap,
and painting the cursor onto the screen capture.

Might wanna give Hypersnap a try, if you haven't done so already. The app
can grab screenshots in Direct3D/OpenGL and Glide modes, and can even
capture the FSAA effects, which are done in hardware really late in the
"pipeline".

Old March 6th 06, 03:50 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati

Peasant poor peasant.here wrote:

rkam2001 hotmail.com wrote:
I have a Radeon 9800. Is there a way to turn off hardware mouse
cursor from the Windows control panel? Or perhaps via some
obscure API or other method?

Why would you want to? Some games give you that option because
they use fancy cursors that can cause issues but I've never seen
it as an option in Windows. Use standard mouse cursor and you
shouldn't have any issues.

Of course "why" is often a very difficult question to answer. Maybe
another reason might have something to do with dual monitors. In the
homebuilt group, there was recently a complaint about some games not
confining the cursor to the primary monitor, that causes an
occasional exit back to the desktop. Apparently you are talking
about the type of option which is available in Tribes 2, you can
toggle "direct mouse" or something like that and it solves the exit
to desktop problem.

From: Peasant poor peasant.here
Newsgroups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Subject: Turn off hardware mouse
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2006 10:20:50 GMT

Old March 7th 06, 06:32 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati

John Doe wrote:
Of course "why" is often a very difficult question to answer. Maybe
another reason might have something to do with dual monitors. In the
homebuilt group, there was recently a complaint about some games not
confining the cursor to the primary monitor, that causes an
occasional exit back to the desktop. Apparently you are talking
about the type of option which is available in Tribes 2, you can
toggle "direct mouse" or something like that and it solves the exit
to desktop problem.

As a matter of fact, yes, I first got the idea that there might be a
way to turn off "hardware mouse rendering" or some such thing from
seeing that several 3d games had an option like this. So I figured
there was some way to tell the video card to do this in general (not
just in a game)... but so far had no luck in finding it.

Old March 9th 06, 02:03 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati

John Doe wrote:

Of course "why" is often a very difficult question to answer. Maybe
another reason might have something to do with dual monitors. In the
homebuilt group, there was recently a complaint about some games not
confining the cursor to the primary monitor, that causes an
occasional exit back to the desktop. Apparently you are talking
about the type of option which is available in Tribes 2, you can
toggle "direct mouse" or something like that and it solves the exit
to desktop problem.

What does that have to do with hardware vs software mouse cursor? By
hardware cursor he means hardware accelerated. I solve that dual monitor
gaming issue by turning off the extended desktop on the second monitor
using ATI Tray Tools.
Old March 10th 06, 10:04 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati

Starfleet not for.email wrote:

John Doe wrote:

Of course "why" is often a very difficult question to answer.
Maybe another reason might have something to do with dual
monitors. In the homebuilt group, there was recently a complaint
about some games not confining the cursor to the primary monitor,
that causes an occasional exit back to the desktop. Apparently
you are talking about the type of option which is available in
Tribes 2, you can toggle "direct mouse" or something like that
and it solves the exit to desktop problem.

What does that have to do with hardware vs software mouse cursor?

Hardware versus software mouse cursor?

By hardware cursor he means hardware accelerated.

Hardware accelerated?

I solve that dual monitor gaming issue by turning off the extended
desktop on the second monitor using ATI Tray Tools.

If it were problematic for me, I would want a better solution (like
the one provided in Tribes 2) since being able to see the desktop
while gaming is a reason I use two monitors.

See also:
Peasant poor peasant.here

From: Starfleet not for.email
Newsgroups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2006 02:03:43 GMT

can we power devices with microwaves? code_wrong General 15 January 31st 06 01:14 AM
mouse detection problem Andreas Bernsel General 1 March 10th 04 12:37 PM
deskjet 845 C ink Pascal Printers 2 November 17th 03 09:16 AM
Wireless Keyboards and Mice? Thomas M General 6 August 6th 03 09:41 PM