Ummmm - Amazon.co.uk

Old April 12th 04, 12:34 AM
steeler

"Doug Ramage" wrote in message

"Paul Hopwood" wrote in message
"Martin Francis" m
wrote:

Their prices are generally very competitive. Just got a digital
camera that Comet, DABS etc are selling for £150-£180 at £99.99 from
Amazon with free delivery.

Canon A60, by any chance?

Nope, Minolta Dimage X20. Noticed the Canon at the same price (not as
heavily discounted though).

--
iv Paul iv

I went for the A60, after a heads-up from the bargains ng - but still
waiting for the free 128Mb CF card.
--

The componants are poor. Low stock if at all and bad prices. However, with
consumer/high street electricals they wipe the floor with dixons, comet,

Old April 12th 04, 02:43 AM
Paul Hopwood

"steeler" wrote:

The componants are poor. Low stock if at all and bad prices. However, with
consumer/high street electricals they wipe the floor with dixons, comet,
etc.

True in the main for components but they can be good for some
hardware.

Ebuyer let me down on a Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop Special
Edition they claimed to have in stock before Christmas, claiming it
was no longer available. Same set ordered from Amazon arrived within
2 days and worked out about the same price (within a couple of quid).
Same story with a BlueTooth desktop set a few weeks earlier.

Stuff like cards, hard drives etc they stock next to nothing and their
prices are crap but I guess that's not really "their bag".

--
iv Paul iv

Old April 19th 04, 11:23 PM
Dr Teeth

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 19:11:58 +0100, Dr Teeth
wrote:

Count me in as a big fan!

Cheers,

Guy

** I may not be perfect, but I'm
** English, and that's the next best thing!

My router has come on the fritz so I have to get a new one. Buying it
from Amazon has saved me about £20?

I'm getting the Netgear DG 834, £67.99, incl next day delivery and
value added theft etc.

Old April 19th 04, 11:47 PM
Parish

Paul Hopwood wrote:
Mat Smith wrote:

Their
service is second to none in my experience.

[snip]

And when there was a minor fault, I rang them. No messing, they sent a
new one out same day (the thing costs just under £100!) and told me to
sent the old one back in my own time and they'd refund the postage.

They were particularly good around Christmas; I had a couple of
reasons for using their customer service and both times they were
excellent.

'Merkin company, that's why. In the US customers expect, and get, first
class service; companies put customer service/satisfaction above everything.

The first was just before Christmas when Royal Mail lost a parcel.
Amazon shipped replacement items FOC within a couple of days.

The second was after Christmas. They extended the returns period in
the run-up to Christmas, much beyond their obligations under DSR. I
brought a wireless mouse as a present during November but later
changed my mind and brought a wireless desktop set (mouse AND
keyboard) instead. I didn't get around to sending the mouse back
until the last week in January, two months after I'd ordered it, but
got an e-mail within a few days saying they'd refunded my card.

What would a UK vendor do? "It's not our fault, it's the carrier". US
companies get the customer's problem resolved _then_ argue the toss
about who's to blame. I've read posts here about similar levels of
customer service from Crucial.

Just think how much lower Amazon could make their prices if they adopted
normal UK service levels.

Parish