Overcloking a Compaq Evo N800w ?

Old April 14th 05, 11:13 PM
Olivier

Default Overcloking a Compaq Evo N800w ?

Hello,

I own a Compaq Evo N800w laptop that's supposed to run at 2.2GHz but
SiSoft Sandra reports 1.196GHz...

I'm not familiar with overclocking issues but I thought it would run at
nominal speed.

According to CPUBench2003:
- chipset is P4N Northwood 0.13microns
- socket 478 (PCA478 socket)
- bus type GTL+ Technology
- Family/Model/Step F/2/7
- Freq. range 1.3-2+ GHz

My question is: how to reach 2.2GHz and is it normal it currently runs
@ 1.2?

Thanks for your help to a newbie...

Olivier

--
-----------------------
Olivier

Old April 15th 05, 01:51 AM
Phil Weldon

Since your computer is a laptop it has not facility for the user to change
items like the CPU speed. SiSoft Sandra, though it has improved over the
years, sometimes delivers incorrect information. My thought is that SiSoft
Sandra is reporting in error. There really is no way that a 2.2 GHz Pentium
4 could run at real 1.2 GHz, as it was made only as 400 MHz FSB. It might
be that the CPU is overheating and being throttled to a much lower average
speed (by starting and stopping), or that battery saving is invoked to the
point that the average speed is lessened that much.

Three options:

1. Compare the SiSoft CPU benchmarks reported for your notebook with the
quantities reported for 2.2 GHz Pentium 4 Northwood (or 2.4 GHz), if it is
near the performance of such a CPU, then SiSoft is in error with the CPU
speed report.

2. Download another Utility to check your CPU performance, i.e. the 'Intel
Processor Identification Utility', available from
http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scri...3&DwnldID=7838 .

3. Contact Compaq at
http://welcome.hp.com/country/fr/fr/welcome.html .

Phil Weldon

Old April 15th 05, 07:23 AM
Olivier

I'll try that

Thank you Phil.

BTW, the benchmark results displayed by Sandra as well as CPUBench2003
are desperately low compared to a REAL 2.2GHz system so I didn't
suspected a misreported speed.

I'll try the Intel SW and tell you what it says.

Stay tuned

Phil Weldon a pensé très fort :

.

"Olivier" wrote in message
Hello,

I own a Compaq Evo N800w laptop that's supposed to run at 2.2GHz but SiSoft
Sandra reports 1.196GHz...

I'm not familiar with overclocking issues but I thought it would run at
nominal speed.

According to CPUBench2003:
- chipset is P4N Northwood 0.13microns
- socket 478 (PCA478 socket)
- bus type GTL+ Technology
- Family/Model/Step F/2/7
- Freq. range 1.3-2+ GHz

My question is: how to reach 2.2GHz and is it normal it currently runs @
1.2?

Thanks for your help to a newbie...

Olivier

-- -----------------------
Olivier

--
-----------------------
Olivier

Old April 16th 05, 02:47 AM
Augustus

"Olivier" wrote in message
Hello,

I own a Compaq Evo N800w laptop that's supposed to run at 2.2GHz but
SiSoft Sandra reports 1.196GHz...

This laptop run at two speeds...one lower when on battery, and a higher
speed on AC power. You are measuring the speed when running on battery
power.
Read the specs in the beige box at the bottom of this review. It runs at
1.2Ghz on battery power.

http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/artic...,110531,00.asp

Old April 17th 05, 10:45 PM
Olivier

Augustus a formulé ce samedi :
"Olivier" wrote in message
Hello,

I own a Compaq Evo N800w laptop that's supposed to run at 2.2GHz but SiSoft
Sandra reports 1.196GHz...

This laptop run at two speeds...one lower when on battery, and a higher speed
on AC power. You are measuring the speed when running on battery power.
Read the specs in the beige box at the bottom of this review. It runs at
1.2Ghz on battery power.

http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/artic...,110531,00.asp

I agree on this but the measurement I did was on AC power... and the
Intel test program still says 1.2GHz

--
-----------------------
Olivier

Old April 17th 05, 10:55 PM
Phil Weldon

Then check the notebook manual or contact HP/Compaq for information on
setting the power options for your system.

Phil Weldon

"Olivier" wrote in message
Hello,

I own a Compaq Evo N800w laptop that's supposed to run at 2.2GHz but
SiSoft Sandra reports 1.196GHz...

This laptop run at two speeds...one lower when on battery, and a higher
speed on AC power. You are measuring the speed when running on battery
power.
Read the specs in the beige box at the bottom of this review. It runs at
1.2Ghz on battery power.

http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/artic...,110531,00.asp

I agree on this but the measurement I did was on AC power... and the Intel
test program still says 1.2GHz

--
Olivier

FS PRINTER PARTS trays fusers drums printheads -- oki fujitsu hp genicom epson ibm dec jetdirect laserjet lexnmark qms okidata ml320 mannesmann tally printonix tektronix qms toshiba zebra otc ibm lexmark intermec dec compaq montreal canada toronto o [email protected] Printers 1 March 15th 05 05:50 AM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 October 10th 04 12:49 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 July 31st 04 02:23 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 July 3rd 04 04:25 AM
Compaq ready to go Jazzy Ban Compaq Computers 0 October 14th 03 02:54 PM