Presario 5301RSH front panel switch failed

Old July 2nd 04, 01:09 AM
David Efflandt

Default Presario 5301RSH front panel switch failed

A friend's little used 5301RSH suddenly failed to come on at all. Since
it would not fire up, the only thing I could check on the power supply is
that it had 5 vdc standby voltage. An ohm meter seemed to indicate that
front panel switch was not making contact. I figured out which pins to
short (marked "reset") where that connected to motherboard, and it started
up.

But then after running XP Home for a short time, it spontaniously
rebooted, so I went into CMOS setup and configured it to boot on power up
(so connecting it to power would boot, instead of broken front switch).
But on serveral reboots, it kept going to black screen with no disk
activity after initial Compaq screen.

So I reseated video card and RAM and connected hard disk to different
power connector. Now it seems to power up fine and shut down normally
from XP Home. And now that it is set to boot on power up, she should be
able to switch it on using the power center her equipment is plugged into.

But I was just wondering if a replacement front panel switch was
available? I attempted to use Compaq's web form to contact them, but the
form "requires" purchase date, which nobody knows (obviously out of
warranty).

Old July 2nd 04, 03:43 AM
HH

The spare part number for the power switch with holder is 255941-002.
Unfortunately it is $36.
Call 1-800-227-8164 for availability.
HH

Old July 5th 04, 06:19 PM
David Efflandt

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 22:43:42 -0400, HH wrote:
The spare part number for the power switch with holder is 255941-002.
Unfortunately it is $36.
Call 1-800-227-8164 for availability.
HH

Thanks, but now it appears that there may be more wrong than just the
front panel switch.

When booting, fans come on and I think hard drive spins up (12 vdc and 5
vdc on connector), but her monitor does not even wake up and no apparent
disk activity.

When I took it back to my house (different monitor), I got Compaq BIOS
logo, but then black screen and no disk activity. With video card
removed, on-board video connector did not even wake up my monitor (is
jumper change needed for that?). With video card reinstalled, fans come
on, but monitor no longer wakes up (not even BIOS logo).

I know failure of Nvidia TNT video cards is common, but would that cause
lack of any disk activity (there are no beeps when booting)?

http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/ http://www.berniesfloral.net/