how to change to uniprocessor HAL?

Old May 18th 04, 04:32 PM
Euclid

Default how to change to uniprocessor HAL?

Compaq Presario S4020WM running Windows XP Home (SP1) with the latest
updates

Device Manager, Computer says "ACPI Multiprocessor PC" (drivers hal.dll
ntkrnlpa.exe ntoskrnl.exe)

The AIDA32 v3.93 sysinfo tool under Operating System, Operating system
suggests:

"Only 1 CPU installed, you should change to uniprocessor HAL."

HAL=Hardware Abstraction Layer
ref: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=309283

I googled and the only way I can see to make this change is to reinstall the
op system, but I know of no such options during installation! Attempting to
update the drivers offers nothing new, and says the best drivers are already
installed.

Is my computer's performance less than optimum with the present setup (vs
uniprocessor HAL)? If so, how? Suggestions?
-E

Old May 18th 04, 05:35 PM
HH

It should be ACPI Uniprocessor PC. Have you right clicked on the current
entry and select Scan for hardware changes?
HH

link.net...

Old May 19th 04, 11:24 AM
Euclid

No, but I tried it...
It scans, then comes back as the same thing: ACPI Multiprocessor PC.

All of the Microsoft literature suggests that the only way is to reinstall
the op system. During that installation process, it is supposed to offer an
option to press F6 to make some kind of setting/selection related to SCSI.
At that point there are supposedly two "hidden" options, to press F5 or F7
(rather than F6). Pressing F5 supposedly offers the option to select ACPI
Uniprocessor PC from a list.

It has been a long time since I last installed this Compaq OEM WinXP Home op
system, so I might not remember, but I don't remember any such option being
offered.

I'm still wondering if it is worth the effort. Is my computer's performance
substandard because of this? What is the effect?
-E

"HH" wrote in message
It should be ACPI Uniprocessor PC. Have you right clicked on the current
entry and select Scan for hardware changes?
HH

link.net...

Old May 19th 04, 01:19 PM
HH

The only way to tell would be to run some processor benchmark tests. I use
Wintune for simple Dhrystone/Whetstone (Integer/FPU) testing, but it is no
longer available online since Windows Mag went kaput. Try to find some
testing software, then post your results. As for such an option when
installing a Compaq OEM version of the OS, I doubt you would have it either.
HH

link.net...

"HH" wrote in message
It should be ACPI Uniprocessor PC. Have you right clicked on the current
entry and select Scan for hardware changes?
HH

link.net...

Old May 19th 04, 10:38 PM
Tom Scales

This machine doesn't have a HyperThreading CPU, does it? From XP's
perspective, that IS two CPUs.

Tom

"HH" wrote in message
It should be ACPI Uniprocessor PC. Have you right clicked on the current
entry and select Scan for hardware changes?
HH

link.net...

Old May 20th 04, 04:02 PM
Quaoar

Euclid wrote:
Compaq Presario S4020WM running Windows XP Home (SP1) with the latest
updates

Device Manager, Computer says "ACPI Multiprocessor PC" (drivers
hal.dll ntkrnlpa.exe ntoskrnl.exe)

The AIDA32 v3.93 sysinfo tool under Operating System, Operating system
suggests:

"Only 1 CPU installed, you should change to uniprocessor HAL."

HAL=Hardware Abstraction Layer
ref: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=309283

I googled and the only way I can see to make this change is to
reinstall the op system, but I know of no such options during
installation! Attempting to update the drivers offers nothing new,
and says the best drivers are already installed.

Is my computer's performance less than optimum with the present setup
(vs uniprocessor HAL)? If so, how? Suggestions?
-E

Use the option Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)
then...
Don't search. I will choose the driver to install
then...
Check the box Show compatible hardware
What options are shown in the Model list?

Old May 20th 04, 05:00 PM
Euclid

"Quaoar" wrote in message
Euclid wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the tip. Here's what comes up in that Model list:

ACPI Multiprocessor PC
Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC
MPS Multiprocessor PC
Standard PC

Should I risk trying one of those others?
Will black smoke start pouring out the top of my computer case?
-E

Old May 20th 04, 07:23 PM
Quaoar

Euclid wrote:
"Quaoar" wrote in message
Euclid wrote:
[...]

The second option ACPI PC is normal for single processor XP
installations on P4s. I've never had a need to do this and do not know
if a boot to Safe Mode will allow you to correct a consequent problem.
OTOH, the option is standard.

Old May 22nd 04, 06:44 AM
Euclid

"Quaoar" wrote in message
news Euclid wrote:
"Quaoar" wrote in message
Euclid wrote:
[...]

A knowledgable tech person on another NG says to leave it alone. It will
work OK as-is, and changing it won't improve anything. Perhaps I'll look for
that option when/if I reinstall this op system someday.
-E