HDD not recognized by puter?.....HELP!!!

Old April 18th 04, 03:04 AM
DavidG35

Default HDD not recognized by puter?.....HELP!!!

Got myself an ebay special Compaq Presario 12XL300 Laptop minus hard drive.
I've tried to install 3 known good hard drives and none are recognized in
the bios and I get the message "Operating system not found" on boot. Any
suggestions besides staying away from ebay?
GMAN

Old April 18th 04, 11:34 AM
Tom Scales

In a laptop?

Personally, I'd suspect a bad motherboard I'd return it!

Old April 18th 04, 01:07 PM
Sharmon

Yes the CDROM and HDD are both IDE and should be cable select . This
would matter if it was only 1 IDE device

In a laptop?

Personally, I'd suspect a bad motherboard I'd return it!
.. .

Old April 18th 04, 02:51 PM
DEJ57

I've never even SEEN a jumper on a laptop hard drive or laptop cd drive.

In my very limited experience on old laptops neither have I. Curious
though...what is the mode a laptop operates in...standard IDE Master/Slave, or
Cable Select? I'd guess IDE M/S, as that what I had to use when adding HDDs
and CDROMS to base expansion units for older laptops I have. (Not that any of
this has anything to do with the original poster's problem--I just wanted to
add a tidbit of interesting info to my "knowledge".

As for the original problem, try a CMOS reset, or could be a bad data cable.
Worse case, bad systemboard...

Dale

Dale
Old April 19th 04, 06:15 PM
Willard

DEJ57 wrote:
I've never even SEEN a jumper on a laptop hard drive or laptop cd drive.

In my very limited experience on old laptops neither have I. Curious
though...what is the mode a laptop operates in...standard IDE Master/Slave, or
Cable Select? I'd guess IDE M/S, as that what I had to use when adding HDDs
and CDROMS to base expansion units for older laptops I have. (Not that any of
this has anything to do with the original poster's problem--I just wanted to
add a tidbit of interesting info to my "knowledge".

As for the original problem, try a CMOS reset, or could be a bad data cable.
Worse case, bad systemboard...

Dale

Dale

Looking just to the right of the 43 connector pins on a laptop drive
(Travelstar DADA-26480) are 4 pins, which can be selected with a jumper
for "Device0", "Device1", or "Cable Sel."...
My laptops came standard as "Device0" for the main C:\drive...

Willard
Old April 19th 04, 11:48 PM
Sharmon

As I said most (not all) Compaqs are cable select and if you set it
to 0 or 1 it will not work with the CDROM in

Old April 26th 04, 06:52 AM
DavidG35

Verdict is in, it was a bad motherboard, hard drive was set to CS, bios was
set to auto. Thanks for the help.
GMAN