Presario 12xl510a problems

Old October 12th 03, 01:27 AM
EldredP

Default Presario 12xl510a problems

I'm trying to work on this laptop for a friend. I tried to load win2k, and I
got an error about non-compliant BIOS for APCI. It suggested updating the
BIOS. I checked the website, downloaded and ran the flash update - same error.
Will this thing just not run win2000?

But...in windows 98, booting gives me:
"While initializing device IOS
Windows protection error"

Trying to boot into safe mode gives:
"Unreliable XMS at 0320314A"

So it appears to me that it might be a memory issue as well. The laptop
doesn't have an extra RAM module - so could it be bad RAM on the system board?
If so, how difficult is that to replace? Any help appreciated. Thanks!

Eldred
--
Homepage - http://www.umich.edu/~epickett
Member

Remove SPAM-OFF to reply.
Old October 12th 03, 02:21 AM
HH

The laptop came with Windows Millenium, not 98. Very few Presarios support
W2K very well. Compaq only supports W2K on the 3-4 Presarios that came with
it preinstalled. XP would be a better choice.The unit came with 128MB. 64MB
was on the motherboard and a 64MB SODIMM in the memory slot. The slot can
take up to a 256MB SODIMM, for a max 320MB total.
HH

Old October 12th 03, 09:20 AM
EldredP

In article , "HH"
writes:

The laptop came with Windows Millenium, not 98. Very few Presarios support
W2K very well. Compaq only supports W2K on the 3-4 Presarios that came with
it preinstalled. XP would be a better choice.The unit came with 128MB. 64MB
was on the motherboard and a 64MB SODIMM in the memory slot. The slot can
take up to a 256MB SODIMM, for a max 320MB total.

I'll try to load XP, but if there's a physical problem with the memory I still
need to get that fixed. Can the motherboard memory be changed easily? There
is no RAM in the memory slot, so there must only be 64MB in the system. Is
that even enough to run XP?

Eldred

Old October 12th 03, 11:36 PM
HH

Nope. You will need to add RAM. And the notebook DID originally come with
128MB. This is direct from the QuickSpecs on it:

System Memory 128 MB 100 MHz SyncDRAM, Shared Memory Architecture,
Upgradable to 320 MB
- 4 MB Dedicated for Video Memory

Old October 13th 03, 02:11 AM
EldredP

In article , "HH"
writes:

Nope. You will need to add RAM. And the notebook DID originally come with
128MB. This is direct from the QuickSpecs on it:

System Memory 128 MB 100 MHz SyncDRAM, Shared Memory Architecture,
Upgradable to 320 MB
- 4 MB Dedicated for Video Memory

Thanks. So I wonder what happened to the other RAM...? The system doesn't do
a memory count during POST, and there's no option to set memory size in BIOS
setup. Maybe it doesn't *know* it only has 64MB, and that's causing the
errors?

Eldred

Old October 13th 03, 02:37 AM
HH

Dunno, but Crucial also lists 128MB for the laptop, 64 MB "Non-Removable"
with a max RAM of 320MB.

Old October 14th 03, 02:51 AM
EldredP

In article , "HH"
writes:

Dunno, but Crucial also lists 128MB for the laptop, 64 MB "Non-Removable"
with a max RAM of 320MB.

Ok, thanks. I guess I'm out of luck for now...

Eldred

Old October 14th 03, 04:03 AM
EldredP

In article , Heiner Hass
writes:

the system should recognize additional RAM without you having to change
anything in the BIOS settings (my 12XL408A does). If you can boot from a
DOS disk, you could try and run a DOS-based memory test program. If a
german RAM-test-program is of any help to you:
ftp://ftp.heise.de/pub/ct/ctsi/ctramtst.zip

Cool - thanks!

Eldred
--
Homepage - http://www.umich.edu/~epickett
Member
Screamers Racing League
IICC League
GPLRank -2.4 MoGPL rank +302.38
ChallengeRank +54.48 MoC +743.77
Hist. +82.82 MoH in progress
N2k3 rank:in progress

Remove SPAM-OFF to reply.

Have you had problems with iiyama VM Pro 454 or 451 monitors? Irish Rover Homebuilt PC's 8 January 8th 05 12:29 AM
Sapphire Radeon 9800SE + Shuttle machine = Problems Jiri Kuukasjärvi General 2 September 12th 04 11:17 AM
Omega Drivers Striker Ati Videocards 14 June 10th 04 02:40 PM
Major Computer Problems Toronto Garage Door Company General 20 November 13th 03 10:41 PM
FX problems. Drivers or hardware? NickNick Nvidia Videocards 6 September 15th 03 12:01 AM