Print/Export/Back up CMOS settings from an ASUS K8V SE Deluxe motherboard?

Old February 23rd 05, 06:51 AM

George Macdonald wrote:
On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 18:25:45 -0600, wrote:

Hello.

Is there a way to print, export, or back up my current CMOS settings? I
do not know a lot about computer hardwares, especially with CMOS and
BIOS. I could write down them down, but that's A LOT settings!! I need
to reset my CMOS back to defaults to test something, but that might not
work and might break something because I didn't configure something
correctly from the defaults. I am using the latest BIOS (v1005) from
ASUS.

Is there a way to output the settings somewhere? I heard print screen
would work, but I would need a parallel printer connection which I don't
have any more since my old Epson printer died.

The trouble is that in modern systems there's more than just CMOS settings
- there's the ESCD stored in the NVRAM (EEPROM). I haven't seen any
utilities for this but I haven't looked hard - DMI was supposed to be able
to handle this kind of thing but it withered for a while, then showed signs
of a comeback more recently and I'm not sure what its current status is.

I don't really care about those settings. I am just interested in the
settings in CMOS so I can reconfigure them if default settings failed.

Failing all else, if a print would do, try a digital camera. I dunno how
the review Web sites get their captures - anybody?

Hmm. Not a bad idea. I don't have one and I don't know how clear it would
be off a 17" CRT. Would it work?
--
"Size isn't everything. The whale is endangered, while the ant continues to do just fine." --Bill Vaughan
/\___/\
| |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
( )
Old February 23rd 05, 08:39 PM
Franc Zabkar

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 18:25:45 -0600, put finger to
keyboard and composed:

Is there a way to print, export, or back up my current CMOS settings?

Try these general purpose utilities:
ftp://sac-ftp.gratex.sk/utilmisc/cmos93cd.zip
ftp://sac-ftp.gratex.sk/utilmisc/cmossav.zip

Note that these utilities will only save/restore the data in CMOS RAM,
eg standard CMOS, advanced CMOS, and mainboard register settings.
Other settings, such as PnP device configuration, will be stored in
the ESCD table in the BIOS EEPROM. To save/restore the latter you will
need to use your mainboard's flash utility.

- Franc Zabkar
Old February 23rd 05, 10:32 PM

Is there a way to print, export, or back up my current CMOS settings?

Try these general purpose utilities:
ftp://sac-ftp.gratex.sk/utilmisc/cmos93cd.zip
ftp://sac-ftp.gratex.sk/utilmisc/cmossav.zip

Note that these utilities will only save/restore the data in CMOS RAM,
eg standard CMOS, advanced CMOS, and mainboard register settings.
Other settings, such as PnP device configuration, will be stored in
the ESCD table in the BIOS EEPROM. To save/restore the latter you will
need to use your mainboard's flash utility.

Thanks. Is there a way to output these settings in plain texts like what
I see in CMOS? I just want a hardcopy or exported settings of each CMOS
setting offline.