Dell 610 power polarity?

Old April 16th 10, 06:48 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
BillW50

Default Dell 610 power polarity?

My niece's Dell 610 laptop power adapter was chewed up by her dog. She
asked me if I had a spare one she can borrow. Which means I'll never see
it ever again. lol

But if the center pin is positive, I have some generic ones that should
work without modification (19v, 3.5A). So does anybody know for sure?
TIA

--
Bill
Gateway MX6124 ('06 era) 1 of 3 - Windows XP SP2

Old April 16th 10, 06:53 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

BillW50 wrote:
My niece's Dell 610 laptop power adapter was chewed up by her dog. She
asked me if I had a spare one she can borrow. Which means I'll never see
it ever again. lol

But if the center pin is positive, I have some generic ones that should
work without modification (19v, 3.5A). So does anybody know for sure?
TIA

do you mean a lattitude d610?
do you know the part number from the old adapter (like pa-10, pa-12, etc.)?
Old April 16th 10, 08:18 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
BillW50

In t,
Christopher Muto typed on Fri, 16 Apr 2010 13:53:44 -0400:
BillW50 wrote:
My niece's Dell 610 laptop power adapter was chewed up by her dog.
She asked me if I had a spare one she can borrow. Which means I'll
never see it ever again. lol

But if the center pin is positive, I have some generic ones that
should work without modification (19v, 3.5A). So does anybody know
for sure? TIA

do you mean a lattitude d610?
do you know the part number from the old adapter (like pa-10, pa-12,
etc.)?

Yes exactly! Nope, I don't have the part number as I don't have the
laptop or the power adapter.

Old April 16th 10, 09:21 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

BillW50 wrote:
My niece's Dell 610 laptop power adapter was chewed up by her dog.
She asked me if I had a spare one she can borrow. Which means I'll
never see it ever again. lol

But if the center pin is positive, I have some generic ones that
should work without modification (19v, 3.5A). So does anybody know
for sure? TIA

do you mean a lattitude d610?
do you know the part number from the old adapter (like pa-10, pa-12,
etc.)?

Yes exactly! Nope, I don't have the part number as I don't have the
laptop or the power adapter.

probably a pa-10 which has a positive tip, and is 19.5v, 4.62a. plenty
of them available on ebay but i would stay away from the 'for dell'
clone adapters as they are not as good and not much if any cheaper.
Old April 16th 10, 09:23 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

BillW50 wrote:
My niece's Dell 610 laptop power adapter was chewed up by her dog.
She asked me if I had a spare one she can borrow. Which means I'll
never see it ever again. lol

But if the center pin is positive, I have some generic ones that
should work without modification (19v, 3.5A). So does anybody know
for sure? TIA

do you mean a lattitude d610?
do you know the part number from the old adapter (like pa-10, pa-12,
etc.)?

Yes exactly! Nope, I don't have the part number as I don't have the
laptop or the power adapter.

probably a pa-10 which has a positive tip, and is 19.5v, 4.62a. plenty
of them available on ebay but i would stay away from the 'for dell'
clone adapters as they are not as good and not much if any cheaper.

ps. a pa-12 would also work but is a lower wattage version of the same
(65w instead of 90w for the pa-10).
Old April 16th 10, 10:08 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
BillW50

In ,
Christopher Muto typed on Fri, 16 Apr 2010 16:23:51 -0400:
BillW50 wrote:
[...]

I had her read the power adapter the other day and she read off 19.5v @
3.4?amps. So that would be the 65 watt pa-12 one I guess. And that makes
sense since all of the laptops I have worked on with Celeron single core
CPU virtually all are 65 watt supplies. And I worked on hers a few
months ago and I remember it was a single core Celeron. Dual core or AMD
processor laptops are almost always 90 watts or greater.

Sure hope you are right about the center is positive. I hate to give her
a supply and it is reversed in polarity. As that is likely to make the
motherboard worthless. And thanks for all of your help.

Old April 16th 10, 10:12 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

BillW50 wrote:
[...]

you don't have to believe me. you can have her scan or take a picture
of her adapter and email it to you... then you can read the graphic
yourself and see what it shows about tip polarity. good luck.
Old April 16th 10, 10:36 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
BillW50

In t,
Christopher Muto typed:
BillW50 wrote:
[...]

Thanks will do!

Old April 16th 10, 11:31 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
William R. Walsh

Hi!

you don't have to believe me. you can have her scan or take a
picture of her adapter and email it to you...

I just turned over a PA-10 and looked. There's no indication of the polarity
printed on mine. There are three contacts, one outer ring, an inner ring and
a center pin. One of these (don't know which one) will be for serial data
transfer. Perhaps some units are labeled. I'd proceed with caution until it
can be confirmed. (Dang. Where's my voltmeter?)

If you use a supply that is suitable but does not have the serial data link,
the machine will complain about this at POST time (and Quickset may notice
later, if it's installed and running). The machine may also refuse to charge
its battery.

William

Old April 17th 10, 12:21 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

William R. Walsh wrote:
Hi!

you don't have to believe me. you can have her scan or take a
picture of her adapter and email it to you...

I just turned over a PA-10 and looked. There's no indication of the polarity
printed on mine. There are three contacts, one outer ring, an inner ring and
a center pin. One of these (don't know which one) will be for serial data
transfer. Perhaps some units are labeled. I'd proceed with caution until it
can be confirmed. (Dang. Where's my voltmeter?)

If you use a supply that is suitable but does not have the serial data link,
the machine will complain about this at POST time (and Quickset may notice
later, if it's installed and running). The machine may also refuse to charge
its battery.

William

look more closely. every dell unit i have ever seen has it marked on
there. though to see since the label is packed with so much regulatory
information for compliance with just about every country...
this is a quick scan but should give you an idea of what to look for...
http://www.chesman.com/pa10polarity.jpg

Polarity, phase ? Skybuck Flying[_2_] Homebuilt PC's 5 April 27th 09 07:30 PM
Laptop power polarity? Calab General 7 January 4th 09 07:53 PM
polarity of the power supply for seagate st90000u2 hard-drive [email protected] General 3 July 17th 08 08:50 AM
polarity of power cord - gateway fpd1520 zirath Gateway Computers 42 April 14th 08 04:52 PM
Compaq JBL Pro speakers - need to know polarity of power supply Larry Dawson Compaq Computers 0 July 13th 05 04:13 AM