Pop-up: Windows installer

Old March 22nd 10, 11:57 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Petrus Tax

Default Pop-up: Windows installer

Hello:
I got another donated computer to check out and fix, and then pass on to
somebody who needs one. It is a Dell Dimension 8100. It works fine now,
except that after booting-up each time a pop-up screen: "Windows Installer"
appears. It is easy to make it dissappear, but it will be there the next
time - still a nuisance. Is there a way to prevent it from popping up?
Thanks very much for any suggestion you may have.
Petrus

Old March 23rd 10, 12:08 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
philo

Petrus Tax wrote:
Hello:
I got another donated computer to check out and fix, and then pass on to
somebody who needs one. It is a Dell Dimension 8100. It works fine now,
except that after booting-up each time a pop-up screen: "Windows Installer"
appears. It is easy to make it dissappear, but it will be there the next
time - still a nuisance. Is there a way to prevent it from popping up?
Thanks very much for any suggestion you may have.
Petrus

I'd run msconfig
and take all un-needed functions out of startup
Old March 24th 10, 02:32 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Petrus Tax

Hello:

Thank you, philo and VanguardLH for your suggestions. I considered both but
felt somewhat at a loss with msconfig on the one hand, hesitated to put
another OS on the computer because some of the drivers would be gone and not
always easy to replace. (The local previous owner still had the XP original
label on the computer, which was the one in use, but he didn't pass on the
CD to me.) Looking also on the Internet I noticed that some people thought
that this pop-up was a virus issue. Well, my computer had the ad-aware
(Lavesoft) program on it, which the previous owner had barely used. I did
apply it, and I found 8 cases of malware. After putting them into
quarantine, the pop-up stopped. I guess, I was somewhat lucky. But I am
grateful to you and happy to let you know.
Enjoy the spring!

Petrus
m...

Old March 24th 10, 03:59 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 09:32:09 -0400, "Petrus Tax"
wrote:

[...]

It is very common that Ad-Aware will not find ALL of the
malware or virus files. Now it would be good to install an
up to date anti-virus program, update its virus definitions,
and do a thorough system scan.
Old March 25th 10, 05:52 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
VanguardLH[_2_]

Petrus Tax wrote:

It is indeed better and safer to clean the HD, put another OS on it and
then download a set of drivers for this Dell computer, if still needed.

The sticker on the Dell should have a number (forget what it is called) that
lets you enter it in their support web page to find downloads for that
particular model. That would point at the driver package(s) that you need
to install.

Windows Installer SDK Tom General 2 January 8th 09 03:25 PM
Windows Installer SDK Tom Homebuilt PC's 1 September 30th 08 05:53 PM
Windows Installer JTK13601 Homebuilt PC's 4 April 9th 06 10:31 AM
Windows installer Pat General 0 January 6th 05 11:05 AM
Windows Installer pop-up??? WillRogers Gateway Computers 2 September 27th 04 05:27 AM