HP Deskjet 1120C : head alignment

Old March 14th 10, 12:04 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Bernard[_2_]

Default HP Deskjet 1120C : head alignment

Hi to Everyone,

My old HP DJ1120C is mostly used under Debian Linux. However, under
Linux, there is no head alignment function available. So, each time I
replaced the ink cartridges, I had to connect my printer to an old PC
that ran under Win95 so that I could align the heads.

On my new PC under Debian Linux, I have a Windows partition (XP), but I
have so far failed to install any appropriate driver for that Deskjet
1120C. If I try to use the original CD that I got when I purchased the
printer, which is meant for Win95, I get the curious message as follows :

"This program requires at least 3MB of free virtual memory to run"

I must confess that I don't know how much virtual memory I have, and I
have not found a way to check this. In any case, I never had this problem
when I first installed the driver several years ago.

So, I have tried to find an up to date driver for this printer. The one I
first found was called : "dj726". Once installed, it appeared lilely that
it is just a "driver updater". In any case, it did not seem to do
anything, except to keep running in the background. I could not uninstall
it : the system replied that it was running, so uninstall would not work.
No icon was available to shut it down, so there was no way to get out of
this. I could not remove the files and directories either. So, in the
end, I went removing files and directories once I had restarted under
Linux. Back to Windows XP, the system detected an anomaly and shutdown.
After a restart, it seemed to run OK.

Then I found another driver: 'dj171'. But I had no success with this one
either. At one time, it asked to chose between LPT1 and LPT2, I replied
LPT1, and soon after it said that it could not start the install process,
and I had to face another unexpected error followed by a shutdown.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old March 15th 10, 06:21 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Arthur Entlich

I have a couple of possible leads for you.

1) my search indicates there is an inbox driver within XP (probably part
of the install disk or already loaded on your computer) for the 1120C.
Don't know if that is accurate or if the calibration tool is available
within it, but look for it.

2) There are both NT and Win 2000 drivers, one of these will often work
with XP 32 bit. The fact that HP did releases an XP 64 bit driver sort
of implies either number 1 or number 2 is accurate, because if they were
not supporting this printer for XP, they would not have produced an XP
64 driver for it.

3) All drivers from HP for this printer are downloadable he (sorry
for the length of this url)

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...k&swEnvOID=228

or try this link:

http://tinyurl.com/c33hh

4) Is it possible to run the calibration feature directly within the
printer (not connected to a PC at all). Sometimes you can do this via
from panel buttons: check the manual.

Art

If you are interested in issues surrounding e-waste,
I invite you to enter the discussion at my blog:

http://e-trashtalk.spaces.live.com/

Old March 16th 10, 07:21 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Bernard[_2_]

Le Sun, 14 Mar 2010 21:21:41 -0800, Arthur Entlich a écritÂ*:

I have a couple of possible leads for you.

1) my search indicates there is an inbox driver within XP (probably part
of the install disk or already loaded on your computer) for the 1120C.
Don't know if that is accurate or if the calibration tool is available
within it, but look for it.

TRUE: my printer is being reckognized under XP. But there is no
calibration tool available, unless I have not been able to find it.

2) There are both NT and Win 2000 drivers, one of these will often work
with XP 32 bit.

One of the two drivers that I have tested was that meant for Win 2000
(dj726), but, as previously stated, I had no success with it : it
appeared to be a "driver updater", not a driver by itself

The fact that HP did releases an XP 64 bit driver sort
of implies either number 1 or number 2 is accurate, because if they were
not supporting this printer for XP, they would not have produced an XP
64 driver for it.

3) All drivers from HP for this printer are downloadable he (sorry
for the length of this url)

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...rDownload.jsp?

pnameOID=14497&locale=en_US&taskId=135&prodSeriesI d=25522&prodTypeId=18972&submit.y=8&submit.x=8&lan g=da&cc=dk&swEnvOID=228

or try this link:

http://tinyurl.com/c33hh

4) Is it possible to run the calibration feature directly within the
printer (not connected to a PC at all). Sometimes you can do this via
from panel buttons: check the manual.

On both addresses, I have found no more than dj726. I will try to re-
install it again, just in case something went wrong at my first attempt.
As far as calibrating from panel buttons, I will check with the manual,
but I don't remember having seen anything like this.

Thanks for your help, I will let you know if I get any success

Old March 16th 10, 08:28 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Bernard[_2_]

Le Tue, 16 Mar 2010 18:21:57 +0000, Bernard a écritÂ*:

Le Sun, 14 Mar 2010 21:21:41 -0800, Arthur Entlich a écritÂ*:

I have a couple of possible leads for you.

1) my search indicates there is an inbox driver within XP (probably
part of the install disk or already loaded on your computer) for the
1120C. Don't know if that is accurate or if the calibration tool is
available within it, but look for it.

TRUE: my printer is being reckognized under XP. But there is no
calibration tool available, unless I have not been able to find it.

2) There are both NT and Win 2000 drivers, one of these will often work
with XP 32 bit.

One of the two drivers that I have tested was that meant for Win 2000
(dj726), but, as previously stated, I had no success with it : it
appeared to be a "driver updater", not a driver by itself

Sorry, I made a mistake : this is not the dj726 that appeared to be a
driver updater. I just tried it again. The file 'dj726.exe', when treated
as an "execute' task, get extracted in /'documents and settings'/.../
TEMP/ where I could see various files and directories: 'DISK1', 'DISK2',
'DISK3'. In 'DISK1' there is a file named 'setup'. I did execute this
file, and got the following reply :

'HP Deskjet Setup wizard - Registry configuration error. The Setup wizard
is unable to modify the settings stored in the registry'

I imagine that this is due to the fact that I already have a kind of a
driver, provided by XP. I don't know if I should uninstall it and how to
do so. In the Configuration Panel, under "printers", there are mentions
of my HP Deskjet 1120C, but no uninstall option is available.

Old March 17th 10, 01:25 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Petrus Tax

"Bernard" wrote in message
. fr...
[...]

Hello:

Have you tried to delete this driver? Go to Control Panel, Printers, then
right click on the proper icon; click on Properties, and there you will find
"delete".

Good luck!

Petrus

Old March 17th 10, 02:33 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Arthur Entlich

You may need to remove the previous driver. Sometimes that can be
accomplished just by going into the printer folder and deleting the
printer (via right click menu). Occasionally, the registry will get
"difficult" and require manual removal of certain lines. This can get
messy if not done correctly.

You may need to involve HP at this point, they should have an uninstall
process available.

Bernard wrote:
[...]

repairing a HP Deskjet 1120c Bernard Printers 1 July 27th 05 11:35 AM
Canon head alignment BF Printers 2 January 4th 05 01:33 AM
C84 print head alignment problen Richard Thoday Printers 8 December 7th 04 04:30 PM
HP Deskjet 1120C and Windows XP Sens Fan Happy In Ohio Printers 0 July 24th 04 02:07 AM
HP Deskjet 1120C Problem Robin Dominik Havre Printers 0 April 5th 04 12:51 AM