Win 7 - Upgrading Inspiron E1505

Old October 23rd 09, 07:27 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

Default Win 7 - Upgrading Inspiron E1505

I'm getting ready to upgrade my Inspiron E1505 to Win 7 from Vista. I
ran the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor and had the following programs
listed with concerns:

- ATI Catalyst Install Manager
- Catalyst Control Centre

The above two were recommended to uninstall and reinstall after
upgrade. I don't recall ever using these programs - what are they and
how important are they?

- Broadcom Management Programs

Advisor stated that "you may experience issues running this program" -
not sure what this program is or how important it is to the laptop
performance.

Any thoughts on the above would be appreciated.

Thanks
Charlie
Old October 23rd 09, 09:13 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
MJMIII

wrote in message
I'm getting ready to upgrade my Inspiron E1505 to Win 7 from Vista. I
ran the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor and had the following programs
listed with concerns:

- ATI Catalyst Install Manager
- Catalyst Control Centre

The above two were recommended to uninstall and reinstall after
upgrade. I don't recall ever using these programs - what are they and
how important are they?

- Broadcom Management Programs

Advisor stated that "you may experience issues running this program" -
not sure what this program is or how important it is to the laptop
performance.

Any thoughts on the above would be appreciated.

Thanks
Charlie

The first 2 both refer to your ATI video card. Uninstall these, then after
your upgrade got to ATI/AMD website and d/l the latest drivers for your
card.

The second may refer to your wireless card/program.

--

"Don't pick a fight with an old man.

Old October 23rd 09, 09:14 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

On Fri, 23 Oct 2009 15:02:38 -0400, Bob Levine wrote:

wrote:
I'm getting ready to upgrade my Inspiron E1505 to Win 7 from Vista. I
ran the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor and had the following programs
listed with concerns:

- ATI Catalyst Install Manager
- Catalyst Control Centre

The above two were recommended to uninstall and reinstall after
upgrade. I don't recall ever using these programs - what are they and
how important are they?

- Broadcom Management Programs

Advisor stated that "you may experience issues running this program" -
not sure what this program is or how important it is to the laptop
performance.

Any thoughts on the above would be appreciated.

Thanks
Charlie

That message assumes you're doing an in place upgrade. I highly
recommend that you ignore that and do a clean install. Takes longer up
front but avoids a world of head aches later on down the road.

Bob

By doing a clean install, you mean to "format" the C drive and then
install or is there another approach that does not lose all the
installed programs and data?

Thanks
Charlie

Old October 24th 09, 01:18 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
WSZsr

Backup your data and do a clean install including formatting the hard drive.
Windows will have the drivers you need on this system,

Old October 24th 09, 05:20 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Boris[_5_]

wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

As relatively inexpensive as drives are these days I would seriously
consider starting with a new larger drive to install Win 7 on and keep
the old for a fall back or an external after everything is up and
running the way you want it to be.

Charles

(Apologies if I'm hijacking this thread...)

That's exactly what I plan to do. Install on new drives (I have two Dell
pcs with VistaHomePremium), but I'm not sure yet if I can do this, even
doing a custom install with an upgrade version of Win7. I haven't found
anything definitive as to whether or not I can do a clean install, on a
new drive, with the upgrade version of Win7.

In worst case, I may have to install Vista on new drive, with my Dell OEM
disk, and upgrade that.

Old October 24th 09, 05:29 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Boris[_5_]

Boris wrote in
.213:

Charles wrote in

[...]