Compaq Presario Repair?

Old February 25th 08, 12:58 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,comp.sys.laptops
G.G. Willikers

Default Compaq Presario Repair?

Searcher7 wrote:
On Feb 24, 2:13 pm, "G.G. Willikers" wrote:
Searcher7 wrote:
On Feb 13, 6:38 pm, "- Bobb -" wrote:
wrote in message
On Jan 30, 8:47 am, "- Bobb -" wrote:
"Searcher7" wrote in message
On Jan 29, 7:53 am, "BillW50" wrote:
I picked up aCompaqPresario 1200 Laptop that someone threw out.
http://www.amazon.com/Compaq-Presari...Pentium/dp/B00...
It seems to work ok, except that there are stationary horizontal lines
going across the screen. I was told that possibly some of the wiring
that connects to the LCD rows on the screen have become damaged.(I'll
send pics if anyone wants to see).
The question is if something like this is worth repairing. Would
getting another screen help, or perhaps I can get the wiring out of
another dead laptop.
Any advice on how to proceed would be appreciated.
Thanks a lot.
Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
Unfortunately, the desktop monitor doesn't any receive signals at all
from the laptop.(I'm assuming that all I had to do was plug the
monitor cable into the rear 15 pin connector).
Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
Darren,
first - send message to BOTH newsgroups. ( As I did) I replied the other
day to another message of yours of HOW to fix it elsewhere - no need for
duplication.
To get the external video enabled it varies by model, but LOOK at the
laptop keyboard. ( you should download the manual from Compaq) You'll see
a key ( F4 ??) that has a picture of 2 displays on it. If you hold hold
the Fn key and tap "THAT" key, it toggles from
Laptop
External
Both
then loops again.
That's how to get the signal to the external monitor.
Squeezing the edges of the screen did nothing to change the existence
or location of the horizontal lines.
So a loose/bad connection is not the quick fix.
There is no "Fn" key on the keyboard. ?!?
I don't have one of those in front of me ... if no Fn key ... Have you tried
configuring an external display by right-clicking the Windows desktop or
background and selecting Properties from the menu list. See if External monitor
is a choice there.
Get YOUR particular model number and search at hp.com
(- look ON the pc ( a presario1200 returns about 200 hits - needs more specfic
info)
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...033108&lc=en&c...
And I downloaded the five manuals he
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/m...&cc=us&dlc=en&...
I clicked on that link and what you see there means:
" no specfic info on your model, but the links below are generic and MAY help
you."
They are there for every model. don't bother with them
But I've gotten no where as far as finding out how to use an external
display, or taking it apart to install a new inverter. :-(
see above- Hide quoted text -
It's been a month and I'm still no closer to finding out, A) what
inverter I need, B) where to get it, and c) how to take the notebook
aprt to install it.
I put in "12XL501", which is located on the same white sticker as the
notebooks serial number. in the search at:
http://h20141.www2.hp.com/hpparts/de...?cc=US&lang=EN
But can't figure out which of the two options are indicative of my
notebook. Not that it makes a difference, because the info there is
not helpful anyway.
Having two previous Compaq desktops have shown me that hardware,
documentation, and support where garbage, so I guess that the same
applies to their notebooks.
Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Your part:http://cgi.ebay.com/PRESARIO-1200-16...CABLE_W0QQitem...

TAke it apart:http://www.thisischris.com/feature/2002/laptop.html

hope it helps
Learn to google

I know how to use Google.

But let's concentrate on your Googling expertise.

1) You came back with an eBay link that shows an inverter auction that
says,"The INVERTER may fit the following PRESARIO:" (Emphasis on
"may*). And the auction goes on to list about 20 model numbers. None
of which are mine.

2) You came back with the website of some guy with a Compaq Presario
that is not exactly the same as mine. He writes how he broke his
laptop while attempting to get it open to fix.(Which he does by
jamming a pencil eraser in it). And then putting it back together
without having to use all of the screws that came out of it.

Thanks for your help, but I think I'll wait for the next bus.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Actually I didn't google those, I used ebay, and another laptop repair
resource website that has served me well.

That is a generic inverter for compaq, and the only thing you need to
worry about for compatibility's sake is whether you have a 12" or 13"
display.

Seriously though, I have your part sitting in a box at work, 3 of them I
think.

I shouldn't give you this link, because you will complain that it isn't
your exact model. If you can't figure out what your doing from this link
then you would be better served putting the laptop back in the trash.

http://h20181.www2.hp.com/plmcontent...3-5CB6DC60FDFF

--
The RIGHT REVEREND G.G. WILLIKERS
(formerly) Monsignor Boddom
Old February 25th 08, 05:51 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,comp.sys.laptops
MrManuals[_2_]

On Sat, 2 Feb 2008 13:59:21 -0500, "Jerry" wrote:

wrote in message
On Jan 30, 8:47 am, "- Bobb -" wrote:
Squeezing the edges of the screen did nothing to change the existence
or location of the horizontal lines.

There is no "Fn" key on the keyboard. ?!?

Never seen a laptop without one. It should be the lower left key on that
model.

http://www.justmanuals.com/compaq-pr...e-p-13375.html

$9.99 and instant download

Get YOUR particular model number and search at hp.com
[...]

http://h20181.www2.hp.com/plmcontent...htm?SID=96347&...

Well I might complain, but I can't get that link to work on my pc, so
I can't comment on it.

Nevertheless, as I mentioned, I picked this up after measuring the
screen: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=180166126499

But, I still wanted to be sure, which is why I continue to search.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.