Compaq WIN XP on home-built machine

Old June 26th 03, 04:00 AM
nECrO

Default Compaq WIN XP on home-built machine

"James R. Lunsford" wrote in message
To make a long story short my sister in law purchased a surplus machine

from
her job that had been wiped clean. When she got it home and it wouldn't
boot, she told them the next day and the tech guy handed her a packet with
Compaq WIN XP in it. She got it home and asked me to install it, on a
machine with a 1.2 gig hard drive, 32 MB of Ram, and I'm not sure what

type
of processor is in it. Can I run it on my machine, a home built w/ an AMD
2000+ and 26 gigs of disk space? If so, I would trade (or sell) her my

copy
of WIN 98 which would run on her machine and we'd both be happy. I know
that my machine is capable of running XP, but the manual that came with

her
copy of XP said something about it may only run on the machine it was
packaged with.

TIA

The "Restore" CD you have is for that machine or one identical. I may be
wrong but I'm pretty sure that it will look for the Compaq BIOS before it
starts installing.
nECrO
BTW The machine you describer will run Win98 but not very well. I would bump
the memory to a minimum of 64mb. Also, with a 1.2 Gb HDD it wont have much
room for anything after you install Win98.

Old June 26th 03, 12:52 PM
James R. Lunsford

thanks for the reply, I think you're right on the compaq xp and also about
the 98. The machine is for her son who's off to college this fall. He's
not a gamer, or a pc person for that matter, so if he touches the mnachine
at all it would probably be to type in papers or something. If he does run
into problems, I could always pop a stick or 2 in to upgrade his RAM.

Thanks again for the reply.

Old June 26th 03, 03:25 PM
BigJIm

with a 1.2 gig drive and 32 meg of ram winxp will run like a 8 cylinder car
with 7 cylinders gone. You should run xp with a minimum of 256 meg of ram
and at least 10 gig HD, a PIII 500mhz processor. Even then it will run like
a dog.

Old June 27th 03, 08:57 AM
Bruce D

It will only install on a Compaq for the "model" the Quick Restore was
designed for. You need to jump through hoops to install in on any other
computer, Compaq of a diffrent model or any other brand/setup

bld