Word 2000 reinstall

Old October 9th 06, 03:30 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Pebble

Default Word 2000 reinstall

Hi to all,
I've been trying to reinstall Microsoft Office 2000 (Winword.exe version 9.0.2717) something I've done before without a problem. It was preinstalled on this packard bell computer, so I don't have the office CD as such, but run restore.exe from the original windows 98SE CD, which enables me to restore any of the preinstalled software. It now asks me for my 25 digit CD key - didn't last time I reinstalled word a couple of years ago - I type in my windows product key, but no not that one. I have the software licence number from an old Belarc advisor log, but this won't work as it is not 25 digit. I have a full backup of C drive, any of the files in it I can restore - but which files?
Have googled this and the general consensus seems to be "ring Microsoft and get a new key" yeah - right !!
I'm stumped.
Any and all opinions welcomed.
Thanks
--
* * Pebble in Boulder * *
who would never underestimate the humble floppy
Old October 10th 06, 12:12 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Rich/rerat

PebbleTo install/reinstall MS Works4.5 that was bundled with my PB MM955
w/W98FE, with the CD in the CD-ROM, I use the program, "software tracker" that
is found.
START button: Programs Packard Bell SoftwareTracker. Then Check the box for
Works and it installs from the CD.

--
Have A Good Day,
Rich/rerat

Old October 10th 06, 12:55 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Pebble

Thanks Rich,
I don't have software tracker, but use "smart restore" which asks for my Win98SE CD disk 1, I then check the programmes I wish to install (Word - not Works, I have Works on a separate CD which came with the Packard Bell package) I'm then asked for disk 2 and Word installs OK. When I run it a window opens asking for my 25 digit code from the Word CD I installed from? It wasn't a Word CD as such, but on my Packard Bell CD, with all the other software, that 25 digit code doesn't work!!
--
B-)
Pebble in Boulder

Old October 10th 06, 06:11 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Rich/rerat

Pebble,
You will need to go through all your PBell paperwork that came with the PC,
there should be a card from Microsoft with a different 25 digit code for MS Word
or Works. Since your Word program came "bundled" with the PC, Microsoft provides
no support for the software, that is PBell's responsibility. If you are in the
US, there is no longer any support for PBell PC's. You may have to purchase
another copy of MS Word.
--

"Pebble" wrote in message
Thanks Rich,
I don't have software tracker, but use "smart restore" which asks for my
Win98SE CD disk 1, I then check the programmes I wish to install (Word - not
Works, I have Works on a separate CD which came with the Packard Bell package)
I'm then asked for disk 2 and Word installs OK. When I run it a window opens
asking for my 25 digit code from the Word CD I installed from? It wasn't a Word
CD as such, but on my Packard Bell CD, with all the other software, that 25
digit code doesn't work!!
--
B-)
Pebble in Boulder

. ..

Old November 8th 06, 12:23 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Pebble

Hi Rich,
Success, went through all the paper work and found the certificate of authority for Microsoft word 2000 WITH THE PRODUCT KEY ON IT !!
BUT, now I get an address violation when I try to run restore.exe :-(
I have changed the cd drive to a dvd drive a while back, and have read that the original drive must be installed although I'm pretty sure that I've run restore successfully since the new drive ??
Also I was mucking around with tattoo manager, and may have changed something there.
.. . . a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing. . . .
Any advice on what to try before I dig out the old drive and chuck it in??
--
B-)
Pebble in Boulder

"Pebble" wrote in message
Thanks Rich,
I don't have software tracker, but use "smart restore" which asks for my
Win98SE CD disk 1, I then check the programmes I wish to install (Word - not
Works, I have Works on a separate CD which came with the Packard Bell package)
I'm then asked for disk 2 and Word installs OK. When I run it a window opens
asking for my 25 digit code from the Word CD I installed from? It wasn't a Word
CD as such, but on my Packard Bell CD, with all the other software, that 25
digit code doesn't work!!
--
B-)
Pebble in Boulder

. ..

Old November 8th 06, 02:38 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Rich/rerat

Pebble,
On my machine, using the PBell Restore CD's, Win98 assigns the CD-ROM that was
used during installation the Letter "Q" (w/o quotes), as in queen. You might
want to go into Control Panel Systems Device Manager Right click the CD-ROM
and change the letter assigned to it, to "Q" (w/o quotes), I have seen that the
letter "R" was also used by some.
--
Have A Good Day,
Rich/rerat
(RRR News) message rule
Previous Text Snipped to Save Bandwidth When Appropriate

"Pebble" wrote in message
news Hi Rich,
Success, went through all the paper work and found the certificate of authority
for Microsoft word 2000 WITH THE PRODUCT KEY ON IT !!
BUT, now I get an address violation when I try to run restore.exe :-(
I have changed the cd drive to a dvd drive a while back, and have read that the
original drive must be installed although I'm pretty sure that I've run restore
successfully since the new drive ??
Also I was mucking around with tattoo manager, and may have changed something
there.
.. . . a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing. . . .
Any advice on what to try before I dig out the old drive and chuck it in??
--
B-)
Pebble in Boulder

. ..

"Pebble" wrote in message
Thanks Rich,
I don't have software tracker, but use "smart restore" which asks for my
Win98SE CD disk 1, I then check the programmes I wish to install (Word - not
Works, I have Works on a separate CD which came with the Packard Bell package)
I'm then asked for disk 2 and Word installs OK. When I run it a window opens
asking for my 25 digit code from the Word CD I installed from? It wasn't a
Word
CD as such, but on my Packard Bell CD, with all the other software, that 25
digit code doesn't work!!
--
B-)
Pebble in Boulder

. ..

Old November 8th 06, 05:50 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Pebble

Hi Rich,
Well, I thought I'd try as a last resort to tattoo the hard drive again, as my midadventures with it may have done something to the hidden sectors stopping the master restore CD fromrecognising the drive as a PB system. SUCCESS ! Followed the instructions "to transfer a copy of the tattoo from the MB bios to the hdd" - worked for me. :-)

from the A prompt give the command
Tattoo /createhsfromdmi

(This is after copying Tattoo.exe and Shellhs.dll from master CD to boot floppy)
--

"Rich/rerat" wrote in message ...
Pebble,
On my machine, using the PBell Restore CD's, Win98 assigns the CD-ROM that was
used during installation the Letter "Q" (w/o quotes), as in queen. You might
want to go into Control Panel Systems Device Manager Right click the CD-ROM
and change the letter assigned to it, to "Q" (w/o quotes), I have seen that the
letter "R" was also used by some.
--
Have A Good Day,
Rich/rerat
(RRR News) message rule
Previous Text Snipped to Save Bandwidth When Appropriate

"Pebble" wrote in message
news Hi Rich,
Success, went through all the paper work and found the certificate of authority
for Microsoft word 2000 WITH THE PRODUCT KEY ON IT !!
BUT, now I get an address violation when I try to run restore.exe :-(
I have changed the cd drive to a dvd drive a while back, and have read that the
original drive must be installed although I'm pretty sure that I've run restore
successfully since the new drive ??
Also I was mucking around with tattoo manager, and may have changed something
there.
. . . a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing. . . .
Any advice on what to try before I dig out the old drive and chuck it in??
--
B-)
Pebble in Boulder

. ..

"Pebble" wrote in message
Thanks Rich,
I don't have software tracker, but use "smart restore" which asks for my
Win98SE CD disk 1, I then check the programmes I wish to install (Word - not
Works, I have Works on a separate CD which came with the Packard Bell package)
I'm then asked for disk 2 and Word installs OK. When I run it a window opens
asking for my 25 digit code from the Word CD I installed from? It wasn't a
Word
CD as such, but on my Packard Bell CD, with all the other software, that 25
digit code doesn't work!!
--
B-)
Pebble in Boulder

. ..

Old November 8th 06, 05:00 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Rich/rerat

Pebble,
Glad that it work for you. My PBell MM955 w/333 AMD K6/2 processor, did not use
the Tattoo.exe and Shellhs.dll files for the hard drive. The files are not on
the Restore CD that I have for the PC, unless it's hidden somewhere. My Restore
CD does use the BIOS to identify PC as a PBell, but US support for the machine
stop in Dec'99, so I can only update BIOS for FR500 (MB850) to version 1.09.
Even though there are later versions for this motherboard, I can't use them with
the Restore CD.