Reset CMOS

Old November 19th 06, 04:01 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Pietro Gallo

Default Reset CMOS

Salve a tutti.
Devo aver combinato un pasticcio. Probabilmente ho sbagliato ad aggiornare i
driver del bios del mio notebook Pakard Bell Easy Note f7310 (tramite cd
creato dalle istruzioni del sito della Packard Bell) e adesso la schermata
è copmpletamente nera.
Qualcuno mi ha detto di provared a resettare la CMOS. Ma è un portatile. Non
so se sia la soluzione giusta e sopratutto non so come si fa.
potete aiutarmi? Grazie

Old November 19th 06, 07:32 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Elector

"Pietro Gallo" wrote in message
Salve a tutti.
Devo aver combinato un pasticcio. Probabilmente ho sbagliato ad
aggiornare i driver del bios del mio notebook Pakard Bell Easy Note
f7310 (tramite cd creato dalle istruzioni del sito della Packard
Bell) e adesso la schermata è copmpletamente nera.
Qualcuno mi ha detto di provared a resettare la CMOS. Ma è un
portatile. Non so se sia la soluzione giusta e sopratutto non so
come si fa.
potete aiutarmi? Grazie

Post in English...Post in English...Most of the folks here know
English as a first or second language and I know in the translation
this message will get all screwed up.

Elector

Old November 19th 06, 09:00 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Ben Myers

Roughly translated by Ben Myers:

Hello to all.

I must have made a mess. Probably I erred to update the BIOS of my Packard
Bell EasyNote f7310 (following the instructions to create a CD on the Packard
Bell web site), and now the screen is completely black.

Someone told me to try resetting the CMOS, but it is a portable. This does not
seem like the right solution, and overall I don't know how to do it. Can you
help me? Thank you.

Old November 19th 06, 09:59 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Robert E. Watts

Default : Reset CMOS and other stuff

Hi Ben!

Thanks for translating, comments inserted below. Wondering why you didn't
offer any help. :-)

( Sure would like to see more action on this NG. My Packard Bell collection
has grown to 15 machines now, and some spare parts. Still missing the :

PB Pentium 60/66MHz tower
Late 486 tower
Packard Bell Corner Computer )

hint hint

"Ben Myers" wrote in message
Roughly translated by Ben Myers:

Hello to all.

I must have made a mess. Probably I erred to update the BIOS of my
Packard
Bell EasyNote f7310 (following the instructions to create a CD on the
Packard
Bell web site), and now the screen is completely black.

Someone told me to try resetting the CMOS, but it is a portable. This
does not
seem like the right solution, and overall I don't know how to do it. Can
you
help me? Thank you.

Well, if you can read this ( in English )

I am not a laptop technician, however..........

You can't reset the CMOS with a black screen. I'm assuming that it does this
at ALL times. If this is the case, you might be in trouble.

If you can find the battery (CMOS settings battery ) in the thing, you might
try removing it, and see what happens. In a desktop, it looks like a silver
button battery, and by removing it for a while ( minutes to hours
sometimes ), this will cause the CMOS settings to be lost, and the thing
will revert back to default settings. Unless the BIOS is totally screwed up.

Sometimes there is a jumper that needs to be changed also, or a jumper that
can reset CMOS settings.

But, if the screen is blank at all times, I am at a loss. You have to be
able to see something to make changes.

Usually a BIOS update fits on a floppy. Try to download the floppy version,
and boot the machine from that. ( if it allows you to see anything.) (
from a different computer of course. :-)

Could be coincidental. The screen may have broken.

Does it even make any noise, fans, etc? Any indicater lights ?

--
boBWatts®©
EartH

Old November 19th 06, 10:53 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Ben Myers

The latest wrinkle in BIOS updates, fraught with possibilities of error and
failure is to provide the update in the form of a Windows executable, to be run
under Windows. With all the great reliability shown by Windows over the years,
and its propensity for unprovoked BSODs, I think that a BIOS update via Windows
is goddam stupid.

Yet another wrinkle for systems that do not have a bootable floppy drive is to
burn the BIOS update along with a bootable operating system skeleton (DOS 6.0,
FreeDOS, etc) onto a bootable CD, and do the update via CD. I've pulled off
this one successfully a few times... Ben Myers

On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 15:59:16 -0500, "Robert E. Watts"
wrote:

Hi Ben!

Thanks for translating, comments inserted below. Wondering why you didn't
offer any help. :-)

( Sure would like to see more action on this NG. My Packard Bell collection
has grown to 15 machines now, and some spare parts. Still missing the :

PB Pentium 60/66MHz tower
Late 486 tower
Packard Bell Corner Computer )

hint hint

.. .

Old November 19th 06, 11:02 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Robert E. Watts

Hi Ben !

"Ben Myers" wrote in message
The latest wrinkle in BIOS updates, fraught with possibilities of error
and
failure is to provide the update in the form of a Windows executable, to
be run
under Windows. With all the great reliability shown by Windows over the
years,
and its propensity for unprovoked BSODs, I think that a BIOS update via
Windows
is goddam stupid.

I couldn't agree more. I almost refuse to update a BIOS this way. However,
the few times that I have ( using WinXP PRO ) it went off without a hitch.
Those particular computers were not "mission sensitive", and I mostly wanted
to see what would happen. :-) ( none were PB's )

Call me old fashioned, but I prefer the floppy update method. And frankly, I
don't update unless I KNOW that it is necessary.

bob

Old November 20th 06, 12:01 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Elector

"Robert E. Watts" wrote in message
Hi Ben !

"Ben Myers" wrote in message
[...]

Of course the way many bios updates are done are via the system
manufacturers website. Similar to my IBM laptop. Its quick and
painless and the margin for error is almost zero. However the BIOS
updates via the floppy disks has been for years the best way, however
that is totally dependent on the "correct" bios being downloaded. In a
situation as what Ben translated the assistance may be the answer of
remove the cmos battery and then replace for now. Again if the machine
the original poster has in not the battery type of the little round
silver one, it may be hard wired on the motherboard and it would be a
real pain to do. I have read that the jumper pin assignment on many of
the older models was and is the way to go.

However I am not familiar with this OP unit. Sorry.

Elector