Netgear GA311 Gigabit ethernet drivers for WinServer2003 ???

Old February 16th 06, 02:06 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,uk.comp.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windows.server.networking

Default Netgear GA311 Gigabit ethernet drivers for WinServer2003 ???

depending on the driver, you may be able to get around this.
most installers (i.e. ones that aren't needlessly complicated) will
unpack a load of .inf etc files that the device needs to work, and then
automate the process of allowing windows to pick them up for use.
what you can often do (and good installers often have a specific
command line switch for doing this for exactly this purpose) is
install, examine the .inf files etc it generates, and then copy those
files onto the win2003 box. in device manager, use "install driver
from specified location" and point it at them. we have to do a lot of
buggering around with things like this when we're working on client
autobuilds - where you don't want the automatic build to be wasting
time prompting you do hit "next" etc.

whether all this mither is worth it, compared to getting another NIC is
another matter though!
ric

Old February 17th 06, 02:40 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,uk.comp.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windows.server.networking

"Kurt" wrote in message
Also, look at the .inf files for the vid and pid values (they may appear
multiple times) and make sure they match the hardware. You can search the
registry for "ga31" and see what values windows is looking for vid/pid
(Vendor ID, Product ID). If they are different, edit the inf file and make
them match.

...kurt

"ric" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Thanks guys, I found out that the generic Realtek drivers for the chipset
seem to work fine, by pointing to them in Device Manager. I'm pretty
disappointed in Netgear for being so crap.

ss.

Old February 17th 06, 10:49 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,uk.comp.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windows.server.networking

On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 13:40:17 -0000, "Synapse Syndrome"
wrote:

Thanks guys, I found out that the generic Realtek drivers for the chipset
seem to work fine, by pointing to them in Device Manager. I'm pretty
disappointed in Netgear for being so crap.

Such is often the case with "installers", which check OS
version. I'd always rather a plain old
bunch-of-files-in-folder that is browsed to. It also makes
the "driver" a much smaller size so it's easy to just keep
all drivers for everything on a thumbdrive, avoiding the
need to fool with floppies or CDs.