dell latitude d600 gigabit adapter disappears in the middel of the day

Old November 4th 05, 02:44 PM

Default dell latitude d600 gigabit adapter disappears in the middel of the day

Hello one of my users has a problem with his d600, the lan adapter
disappears and he cant connect to the network , usually happens when
the laptop is in the docking station. I called dell and I had to flash
the bios,update all the drivers and delete the docking profile but the
problem happens once a day. They said that i should reformat and start
fresh. Has anyone had this problme?

Thanks.

Old November 4th 05, 03:29 PM
Christopher Muto

you say 'usually happens when in the docking station'...
when in the docking station you can not plug in to the internal 10/100/1000
port.
perhaps you mean it only happens when in the docking stations to which i
suggest that you try a different docking station and see if the problem
follows the docking station or stays with the laptop that is currently
experiencing the problem.

ups.com...

Old November 4th 05, 04:26 PM

I forgot to mention. I alredy try that. But thanks.

Old November 4th 05, 05:08 PM
Christopher Muto

try a different port on your network hub/switch... or did you already try
that too and forget to mention it

wrote in message
oups.com...
I forgot to mention. I alredy try that. But thanks.

Old November 4th 05, 09:03 PM

good idea, i gave it a try. so far so good but to early to sing victory.

Old November 4th 05, 09:21 PM
Christopher Muto

if that doesn't solve it then i suggest you look to see what rate it is
connecting at (10, 100, or 1000)... it may be connecting at too high a rate
and then dropping because of receving too many errors; in other words you
may have a cabling issue. you need expensive equipment to test gigabit
cabling and you need to use gigabit patch cords on each end for it to work.
not sure how to force the nic to connect only at 10 or 100 but i bet there
is some way to do that.

Old November 4th 05, 10:44 PM

I think i will try that next, i did not want to doit because if the
user travels he might encounter some problems. I removed all the
connection and uninstall all the adpaters then i run winsockxpfix and i
hope that will do the trick. I also ran ccleaner just to clean up the
registry and check for spyware. I hope that will do the trick.

Old November 4th 05, 11:20 PM
Tom Scales

Gigabit patch cords are nothing fancier than all 8 wires connected. Some
cheap 10/100 cables only have four wires.

My house backbone is all gigabit.

Tom

Old November 15th 05, 07:50 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

seems like i am still having the same problem, dell recomemded to
reformat the harddrive may be someone else has a better suggestion.

Old November 15th 05, 10:46 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

if i recall correctly, this issue wasn't stated very clearly... and neither
has your troubleshooting...
you have a laptop that periodically looses network connectivity when docked
(you mentioned something about it 'usually happening when in the docking
station and that opens the first question as to what port you are using...
dock, built in, pc card??). you said you have tried other docks. you said
you would try other ports on your network hub/switch. i suggest you
continue to eliminate variables such are the premise cabling (run a
temporary network cable to another office or direct to the network
hub/switch if you have to). change out the patch cables between the
hub/switch and the patch panel, and then wall jack and the computer. if you
have other identical dell model laptop then swap the hard disks and see if
the problem follow the old laptop or stays with the software build/hard disk
that is in the 'new' laptop. it sounds like this is either a cabling issue
(not dells problem) or a docking station connector issue (laptop motherboard
issue). hard to diagnose. but if you swap the hard drive with another
identical unit and the problem follows the original laptop then you know
that the issue is with the laptop (and not the software build).