Possible to repair a hard drive?

Old October 4th 05, 10:31 PM

Default Possible to repair a hard drive?

Is it possible to take apart a laptop hard drive and see if it can be
repaired? Are there any details on this type of thing on the web that
anyone knows of? I would like to try this but have not been able to
find any information.

Right now when the laptop is booted all you hear is the HDD clikcing
and the no operating system found error.

any ideas?

Old October 4th 05, 11:43 PM
Alceryes

I have read of repairs being made so I would say it is possible. I would
NOT just take one answer or even instructions but do much research and do
NOT try that freezer BS whatever you do. If you believe those that say
that it worked for them then there must be more people that froze a HDD
than any other repair

I've never heard of anyone saying that sticking a HD in the freezer will
*fix* the HD(?)

The freezer trick has definitely allowed me to get data off of a HD that
under normal circumstances was inaccessible, though. Sometimes a HD fails
(starts clicking) when it gets hot. In this circumstance a 'frozen' HD might
give you an extra few minutes to retrieve data before it heats up and starts
clicking again.
--

"I don't cheat to survive. I cheat to LIVE!!"
- Alceryes

"Johnathan" wrote in message
Is it possible to take apart a laptop hard drive and see if it can be
repaired? Are there any details on this type of thing on the web that
anyone knows of? I would like to try this but have not been able to
find any information.

Right now when the laptop is booted all you hear is the HDD clikcing
and the no operating system found error.

any ideas?

I have read of repairs being made so I would say it is possible. I would
NOT just take one answer or even instructions but do much research and do
NOT try that freezer BS whatever you do. If you believe those that say
that it worked for them then there must be more people that froze a HDD
than any other repair. I have had clicking drives that have booted once or
twice out of many tries. I would say to try and try again and be ready to
clone it or back it up when it does come to life. If not then a platter
can be replaced with one of an identical drive.

Good luck.

J.

Old October 4th 05, 11:54 PM
DaveW

A harddrive can ONLY be opened in a Super Clean Room. One iota of dust in
the harddrive would destroy it. So, no, you cannot repair it.

--
DaveW

oups.com...