Talking to the IMD

Old September 19th 05, 03:35 PM
.

Default Talking to the IMD

I'm trying to configure the IMD on a ProLiant 7000 using SmartStart 5.5
and SCU, but when I go into the "View or Edit Details" part of the
program, I can't seem to be able to edit anything - all I get is a
message stating that you can't do anything at the resource level.

It's running no hard drives at the moment as I'm still waiting for my
delivery to come in - do I need to have the F10 partition actually
installed before I can gain access to the IMD, or is there something
else I'm missing?
Old September 19th 05, 04:10 PM
NuTCrAcKeR

It's running no hard drives at the moment as I'm still waiting for my
delivery to come in - do I need to have the F10 partition actually
installed before I can gain access to the IMD, or is there something
else I'm missing?

depending on the OS you are planning on using, there is a utilty that you
can use (within windows and novell I am sure of) where you can program what
you want the IMD to show you. SystemName, asset number, CPU util, etc ....

I have never populated that information in the SCU before. I always did it
from within NT/2000 ... havent run a system that has an IMD with 2003 yet,
so I cant comment on that.

- lc

Old September 19th 05, 04:26 PM
.

I just cleared the NVRAM and started over (nothing lost since there are
no hard drives in it yet) and I can now enter the data.
Old September 19th 05, 04:40 PM
NuTCrAcKeR

"." wrote in message
om.au...
I just cleared the NVRAM and started over (nothing lost since there are
no hard drives in it yet) and I can now enter the data.

clearing the NVRAM (not system erase) wouldnt affect your drives. Just an
FYI.
if you do a System Erase with an array controller and drives, it wipes the
NVRAM, Clears the controller, and clears the drives. If you setup your disks
exactly the same as they had been ... it would probably still work

Old September 19th 05, 06:33 PM
Rick F.

In article , NuTCrAcKeR wrote:

"." wrote in message
om.au...
I just cleared the NVRAM and started over (nothing lost since there are
no hard drives in it yet) and I can now enter the data.

clearing the NVRAM (not system erase) wouldnt affect your drives. Just an
FYI.
if you do a System Erase with an array controller and drives, it wipes the
NVRAM, Clears the controller, and clears the drives. If you setup your disks
exactly the same as they had been ... it would probably still work

Seems to me that I could change that stuff on my 5500 via the SmartStart CD's
SCU if I recall -- not that I ever tried to actually edit the various fields

Old September 20th 05, 02:28 PM
Jeffrey Alsip

Yes, after running SCU you can choose "View or edit details". You then
have the opportunity to edit most of the available fields...including
the ability to edit Administrators name, address, phone number, etc.
But only the utility that you run from within the OS will give you full
control...including the ability to create a custom idle screen.

Old September 21st 05, 07:32 PM
Jeffrey Alsip

I can't seem to find that utility in any of the LINUX versions of the
PSP. Is this a Windoze Only thing

i cant spell linux .... im a windoz guy. havent seen a PSP type thing for
anything other than Novell and MS.

It just occurred to me that the windoz utility is fairly old, having
been last revised to operate under Server 2000. For this reason, it
stands a decent chance of running in a Wine (windows emulator) window.
Wine has had five years to improve and the utility has not. I will give
this a try.

Old September 21st 05, 09:19 PM
Nut Cracker

i dont know if wine allows you to access all the real hardware level hooks
and things that the utility is going to look for. Give it a shot and let us
know what happens.

- lc

ups.com...