PC card ethernet 10/100 for acompaq notebook 1800 xl 109

Old November 20th 07, 02:15 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Michel[_2_]

Default PC card ethernet 10/100 for acompaq notebook 1800 xl 109

hello
i would like to buy a PC card in order to connect my old 1800xl 109
notebook to the ethernet 10/100 output of my modrm.
What tpe and maker would you advise me to use ??
thanks
michel
Old November 20th 07, 02:53 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Ben Myers

I recommend one of two brands based on generally good experiences with them.
Each has its advantages and disadvantages. Each has drivers still available for
Linux and evn the old versions of Windows.

There are two possibilities to consider with the Xircom brand. One is simply a
10/100 card. The other has both 10/100 and dialup 56K modem connectors. The
disadvantage of a Xircom card is that it is large and occupies two PCMCIA slots.

The 3COM 3c575 is another 10/100 Ethernet card. It is a thin card which
occupies only one PCMCIA slot, and it is flush with the edge of the computer
case when fully inserted in the slot. Its disadvantage is that it requires a
"dongle", or small cable with Category 5 Ethernet connector. The dongle is yet
another item to remember in ones kit of notebook items, and it can be carelessly
ripped from the card, causing physical damage.

Both of these operate reliably when in use. They are both inexpensive on eBay
and from sellers of used computer parts... Ben Myers

Old November 20th 07, 03:34 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Postman delivers

Michel wrote:

hello
i would like to buy a PC card in order to connect my old 1800xl 109
notebook to the ethernet 10/100 *output of my modrm.
What tpe and maker would you advise me to use ??
thanks
michel

* * *
Michel,

I believe you have PC Card Slots
Two (2) Type II or one (1) Type III PC card slots

External Ports
Two USB connectors

If you have a wireless Router, then almost any wireless card should work. I
purchased a G Airlink in Fry's Elctronics for $9 last month.

If you are using a wire connector I have found the the used 3com 10/100 lan
PC Card from ebay with the wire converter have worked in my older Compaq,
and Toshiba notebooks... $10 with shipping

You could use one of the usb wireless sticks, if your PC Card Slots do not
work...

How can you tell if the PC Card host computer has CardBus or 16-bit?

1) Check the documentation or specification for your host computer.
2) The slot may also be marked "CardBus". Most notebook computers
manufactured after 1998 have CardBus slots.
3) On Windows based computers you can right click on the "My Computer" icon,
select "System Properties" and select the "Device Manager" tab. Search for
the "PCMCIA Socket" entry and click on it to show the type of PC Card
Controller. There should be one entry per slot.

JR the postman