Armada M700 running Windows 3.1?

Old January 10th 07, 03:24 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
[email protected]

Default Armada M700 running Windows 3.1?

I seriously want to get my Compaq armada m700 to run Windows 3.1. I
have no clue how. In messing around with it, I trashed my WinXP
partition, so let's assume that I'll be starting with a blank hard
disk. Idealy, I would like to end up with Windows 3.1 running on a
500mb partition, and Windows XP home on the rest of the space. How can
this be done? First I need a partition, and then a Dos base with CD
support... but I don't know how to get that. A little help, please?
Thanks.

Old January 10th 07, 05:27 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
HH

I seriously doubt you will find any drivers for that notebook for that OS.
Compaq certainly won't have any. Plus you would have no USB support and
other issues. Forget it.

HH

ups.com...

Old January 12th 07, 02:42 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
- Bobb -

wrote in message
ups.com...
I seriously want to get my Compaq armada m700 to run Windows 3.1. I
have no clue how. In messing around with it, I trashed my WinXP
partition, so let's assume that I'll be starting with a blank hard
disk. Idealy, I would like to end up with Windows 3.1 running on a
500mb partition, and Windows XP home on the rest of the space. How
can
this be done? First I need a partition, and then a Dos base with CD
support... but I don't know how to get that. A little help, please?
Thanks.

glance thru http://support.microsoft.com/kb/84388
Windows 3.anything was a waste of time.

Win95 was buggy but it ~ worked.
WFW worked
Prior to those, DOS was THE Microsoft OS to use.
NONE of the built in hw on that m700 would be recognized on 3.1 .
You could maybe find drivers for add on devices but I doubt you could
make the onboard chips control the kb, mouse, CD, video etc. It probably
shipped with Win2000 with which it worked nicely.

Old January 12th 07, 07:51 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
[email protected]

wrote:
I seriously want to get my Compaq armada m700 to run Windows 3.1. I
have no clue how. In messing around with it, I trashed my WinXP
partition, so let's assume that I'll be starting with a blank hard
disk. Idealy, I would like to end up with Windows 3.1 running on a
500mb partition, and Windows XP home on the rest of the space. How can
this be done? First I need a partition, and then a Dos base with CD
support... but I don't know how to get that. A little help, please?
Thanks.

Wait, WHY do you want windows 3.11? Is there some legacy app you want
to run? Or is this just to say that you did it?

Start with the Dos 6.22 3-floppy set. (boot from disk 1)

Then get the win 3.1 6 floppy set.

a:\setup

You might get the touchpad working
You will probably get the CD working (but don't expect to actually burn
cds).

If you can find an old enough pcmcia ethernet card that has windows
3.11 drivers (3com... maybe), you might actually get it to connect to
the internet. For very limited websites.

If you can find an old enough parallel printer, you can get that to
work too. (early hp laserjet maybe)

Sound is probably a lost cause. USB is almost certain not to work, no
matter how hard you try.

But there is no reason i can think of to actually install windows 3 on
more modern hardware than a 486.

Old January 12th 07, 08:11 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
[email protected]

[...]

UPDATE

Dear god, there ARE windows 3.1 drivers for this thing.

So getting network and CD working are now almost a sure thing. As for
the rest....

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...5&swEnvOID=139

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...35&swEnvOID=26