Armada 1590 locks on restart after loading Win98

Old February 6th 06, 08:17 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

Default Armada 1590 locks on restart after loading Win98

Hi,
I have hit a wall. I wiped the drive and reloaded win98. The load
goes alright, but on the restart for the final set-up the machine
locks. I can load in safe mode, but cannot find anything. I have
tried this several times. I even went back and started with a win95
load, which worked fine. I then upgraded from win 95 to win 98. This
worked. I loaded all Compaq drivers and all looked good. Then I tried
the upgrade to win98SE, which did not work because the upgraded win 95
did not have all that win98SE needed to load. I then did an upgrade to
the full version of win98. This is were my problem starts. The
machine locks up during start up. I did a step-by-step load and after
the HD firmeware. I think it is a driver that is locking it up, but
don't know where to start or look.
Thanks
Scott

Old February 11th 06, 04:47 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

Solved my own problem. The harddrive driver OPTi Viper Max Dual PCI
IDE needed a new update. Compaq did not say anything about it.
Scott