Are hard disk tattoed ? If so, how to use quick restore cd's?

Old January 26th 06, 05:58 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

Default Are hard disk tattoed ? If so, how to use quick restore cd's?

One month ago I asked:

I've been told that some manufacturers were used to "tattooing" their

hard disk or motherboard in order to prevent people from installing the
system on other computers, and I wonder whether it applies to my
presario 18xl485 laptop, the hard disk of which has been changed. I've
just ordered the restore CD's kit which I have not received yet; do you
think I'll be able to use them?
I have just received the cd's and tried to use them but I couldn't:
"erreur quick restore # 50 : 4 " and now the screen is blank with the
cursor blinking on the upper left corner!!!!!
I think I was right when I said some manufacturers were used to
tattooing" their hard disk or motherboard in order to prevent people
from installing the system on other computers.
Can anybody help me?
Old January 29th 06, 01:21 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

Nicholas D Richards a écrit :

Have you checked that Virus Protection and Setup/System protection
passwords are OFF/DISABLED in the BIOS?

Setup/System protection passwords are OFF/DISABLED
But Virus Protection password: I can't see anything about it when I
press F10
Old January 29th 06, 06:56 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

In article , Herblain
writes
Nicholas D Richards a écrit :

Have you checked that Virus Protection and Setup/System protection
passwords are OFF/DISABLED in the BIOS?

Setup/System protection passwords are OFF/DISABLED
But Virus Protection password: I can't see anything about it when I
press F10

Sorry virus protection, no password. There can be various descriptions,
it stops the Master Boot Record on the hard drive being changed. Pretty
useless and a good virus protection program gives far more protection.
I am not sure that Compaq ever included this in their BIOS options.

It would be better to reset CMOS. This can be achieved via a jumper or
by removing the CMOS (sometimes called the Real Time Clock battery)
battery and leaving out overnight. The details should be in your
manual.

You have changed the boot order, have you not? It should be CD first.
You may get a message displayed for a short time, something like 'Press
any key to boot from CD'. Press any key, the window of opportunity is
very short.

Otherwise I am fresh out of ideas.

--
Nicholas David Richards -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"
Old January 29th 06, 07:10 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

Try this
http://www.mistered.us/wwwboard/messages/9278.shtml

"Nicholas D Richards" wrote in message
In article , Herblain
writes

Old February 5th 06, 04:32 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

Default Are hard disk tattoed ? If so, how to use quick restore

hi ,
check out the info on using your restore cds at :
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...name=c00034787
hope this helps ,

Terry

Long hard drive access times... Random Person General 13 August 2nd 05 11:49 PM
Win XP doesn't like a second hard drive! N9WOS General 9 January 6th 05 01:10 AM
Quick Restore CD [email protected] Compaq Computers 9 September 18th 04 12:27 PM
Protable USB hard disk ma General 3 August 1st 04 02:28 AM
Adding a second hard disk to a DELL Dimension L600cx Francois Chausson General Hardware 0 December 9th 03 10:58 AM