F10 Diagnostics

Old April 1st 04, 06:18 AM
DEJ57

Default F10 Diagnostics

Running PC setup is not particularly slow when run from a floppy disk, but I
agree diags are.

I agree. Doubt one would observe a difference between HDD or FDD for Setup.

I am curious why the original poster wants to run Setup to change anything in
the BIOS. HDDs are auto-detected, and manual changes are not normally needed.
If the HDD is too large the overlay or an added controller card will be
needed...

I get the feeling the real solution is not Setup but a HDD larger than the BIOS
will recognize...

But running Setup from diskette was a good recommendation, and not worthy of
the dis.

Dale
Old April 1st 04, 05:52 PM
Pgatoo

I was the original poster and the reason was that I am a novice and didn't
know any better. I that that the setup might let me change the size,# of
heads etc like non compaq systems do. But thanks to all the help I received
in this NG I learned that you have to flash the ROM to accept larger than 8
gig drives.

Rob (artist formerly known as mick)

Old April 1st 04, 11:48 PM
bobG

"NuT CrAcKeR" wrote in message ...
sure... at about 12KBps... running those tools from floppy is a nightmare.
Great advice, there champ.

Original Poster,
Make sure that your dive does not have ANY partitions on it. Then, you can
use the diskettes to create the partition, and copy the tools from the
floppies to it. They run 1000 times faster from the drive, and for the mere
8M (or whatever) you give up at the beginning of your drive, its well worth
it.

The diags are a very geeky thing to have. In my many years of supporting
compaq and other systems, I can probably count on 1 hand how many times i
have needed them. If you dont have the floppy with those things on it, its
not the end of the world.

NuTs (LC)

"HH" wrote in message
You do not need to install the setup/diags. They can be run from the
floppies.
HH

"Mick" wrote in message
news
I have an old compaq deskpro 4000 that I set up for the kids to use. I

am
trying to install a new Hard drive but I need the F10 setup boot. This
particular desktop does not have the F10 installed or it is not active

one
of the two. How can I reinstall this option at boot up. I have created

the
two F10 set up disk but when I choose to install it says I need the
Diagnostics disk to creat a service partition (I think) but I cannot

find
that diagnostics disk anywhere. Sorry for the long winded post but at my
wits end with this old boat anchor ;-). BTW I am a novice so please be
gentle.

Thanks for any help offered.

Hello Group-

I've been reading through this thread (and others) while trying to
restore my non-DOS partition which I stupidly deleted. Got the
diskette download info from another post. Thanks for the key - I was
trying to install the Diag and F10 setup AFTER partitioning my drives.
Once I read this post, it was like "AHA!". All is well so far. I have
my F10 back, and I'm currently doing the partition and format work on
my C and D drives, then on to re-install of the OS.

This is an older, test system in a lab situation. No critical data
loss. Whew!

thanks to all!

Bob