Bitcoin crash means GPU shortage is over?

Old November 20th 18, 12:15 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Default Bitcoin crash means GPU shortage is over?

Will Nvidia/AMD be cutting prices?
Old November 21st 18, 02:44 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe[_9_]

Paul wrote:

wrote:

Will Nvidia/AMD be cutting prices?

Have you looked at supply, availability, features ?

What a mess.

And winter is coming (tariffs).

High end 10 series discontinued == not same feature set on 20
series Mid-range 10 series, product available (RAM amount is some
function of mining, still) Extreme low end, price too high. No VGA
connectors, DVI-I became DVI-D, must buy DisplayPort to VGA
adapters. USB-C connector on faceplate, as a power source for the
VR Googles you can't afford.

Cards too long to fit case. 280mm to fill 280mm hole (can't wiggle
card in). Mini cards... unavailable. Announced. No stock of old
card (discontinued). No stock of new card. Vacuum.

So wait a while... wait a while longer... wait longer still...

And so on. Become a waitabee like me. Keep waiting. Wait some
more. OK ?

When did Bitcoin crash?

I only hear about Bitcoin because I daily check FOX Business news.
A month or so ago they were promoting it. I haven't seen anything
about a Bitcoin crash.

Now I recall a comment on YouTube video about some dictator's loss of
investment in crypto currency. Searching Google, results are no more
than six days old?

You might need to wait more than a week.
Old November 21st 18, 04:13 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

John Doe wrote:
Paul wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Yesterday. Well, not really. Value dropped to half.
Which is normal for market manipulation of Bitcoin.

https://www.ccn.com/bitcoin-trading-...-record-highs/

"Bitcoin Trading Volumes in Hyperinflation-Struck Venezuela Hits Record Highs"

Bitcoin is used by the people of Venezuela to take
the place of their currency, as their currency
doesn't even make good toilet paper.

Note that Venezuela recently issued a new currency,
and perhaps that has something to do with it (drop
in Bitcoin).

https://www.news.com.au/finance/econ...eb372f6521b21c

"August 24, 2018

On Monday, Venezuela slashed five zeros from its currency
with the release of the new "sovereign bolivar", equivalent
to 100,000 old bolivars."

So that's not it, as the effect of that would already
be factored in.

Paul
Old November 21st 18, 07:52 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe[_9_]

Paul wrote:

John Doe wrote:

https://www.ccn.com/bitcoin-trading-...nflation-struc
k-venezuela-hits-record-highs/

"Bitcoin Trading Volumes in Hyperinflation-Struck Venezuela
Hits Record Highs"

Bitcoin is used by the people of Venezuela to take the place of
their currency, as their currency doesn't even make good toilet
paper.

Note that Venezuela recently issued a new currency, and perhaps
that has something to do with it (drop in Bitcoin).

https://www.news.com.au/finance/econ.../photos-captur
e-venezuelas-inflation-crisis/news-story/6cd362993e4eed79aeeb372f65
21b21c

"August 24, 2018

On Monday, Venezuela slashed five zeros from its currency
with the release of the new "sovereign bolivar", equivalent
to 100,000 old bolivars."

lol
new, improved...

And now back to first world problems...

Anybody who wants fast video for flight simulation should consider
drone first person view (FPV)...

I bought X-Plane 10 and 11 flight simulators, but preliminarily
speaking... looks like FPV droning is more interesting. After doing
a lot of research and then wasting $1000 on crappy Wi-Fi FPV drones,
I am trying analog FPV for flight simulation. In my brief experience
so far, analog FPV for casual flying is not choppy as it appears to
be for fancy flying pros, and without the lag of Wi-Fi.

Very cool, IMO. First person view droning is more real than Bill
Gates' old "Real As It Gets" flight simulation. I am using
quadcopters. If a person has lots of space, I suppose fixed wing
aircraft would be closer to traditional flight simulation, if the
distance doesn't mess up the transmission. I suppose it can be
included on slow flyers.

An hour ago, I was able to hover a Rodeo 110 around in a small area
here using FPV. Wasn't easy, but it's much easier outside with some
space.

Check out the first minute of this video, it's worth your time...
https://youtu.be/9LbDtKsdS9w
Old November 21st 18, 08:06 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe[_9_]

I wrote:
Check out the first minute of this video, it's worth your time...
https://youtu.be/9LbDtKsdS9w

That's just so incredible IMO.
The pilot is using first person view (FPV) but we are seeing higher-
quality onboard recorded video. That difference only matters if the
viewer is researching what FPV really looks like, like when trying to
determine what equipment to buy. The FPV goggles he's using probably
cost at least $400, but mine were only $80 and are fine to start.

I doubt bitcoin mining has any effect on FPV goggle prices.
Old November 21st 18, 09:38 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

John Doe wrote:
Paul wrote:

John Doe wrote:
Paul wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Must have a pretty good radio in it, to do that.

It's a wonder you don't get a loss of signal
once in a while.

Paul
Old November 21st 18, 10:35 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe[_9_]

Paul wrote:

John Doe wrote:

Check out the first minute of this video, it's worth your time...
https://youtu.be/9LbDtKsdS9w

Must have a pretty good radio in it, to do that.

It's a wonder you don't get a loss of signal
once in a while.

Not much lost between the camera and the SD card
Old November 21st 18, 10:55 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

John Doe wrote:
Paul wrote:

John Doe wrote:

Check out the first minute of this video, it's worth your time...
https://youtu.be/9LbDtKsdS9w

Must have a pretty good radio in it, to do that.

It's a wonder you don't get a loss of signal
once in a while.

Not much lost between the camera and the SD card

But for flight control.

Abd flying above trees, if it had a "return home"
function on loss of signal, that could be messy.

Paul
Old November 21st 18, 12:12 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe[_9_]

Paul wrote:

John Doe wrote:
Paul wrote:
John Doe wrote:

Check out the first minute of this video, it's worth your time...
https://youtu.be/9LbDtKsdS9w
Must have a pretty good radio in it, to do that.

It's a wonder you don't get a loss of signal
once in a while.

Not much lost between the camera and the SD card

But for flight control.

That's FPV. I tried to explain that in the follow-up to my own post.
There are plenty of examples on YouTube of what the pilot actually
sees (FPV). But they usually upload the recorded onboard pretty video.

In fact, the pilot FPV video is glitchy. How glitchy depends on stuff
I don't know enough about. I think one factor is voltage drops.
Another might be antenna placement versus aircraft orientation during
flight. And of course the choice and setup of the video transmitter
and receiver.

There are two different transmitter-receiver combinations.
The controller transmits to the receiver on the aircraft.
And there is a video transmitter on the aircraft that beams back to
the video receiver for display.

Almost all now have video return signals from the drone. The only
difference is whether it's Wi-Fi or analog.

Abd flying above trees, if it had a "return home"
function on loss of signal, that could be messy.

I have been a little disappointed in the combination of GPS and manual
flight control. I'm not sure the makers are technically capable to
combine those two. I think that's one reason users suffer "flyaways".

I didn't like the manual control of my Bebop 2. It flew automated GPS
courses well, but that was not interesting after the novelty wore off.

If I'm concerned about losing a drone, I will use my Marco Polo.
Currently I plan on avoiding GPS during flight. I plan to concentrate
on decent FPV. There are various categories of drones. Picture taking
drones include GPS. Racing drones typically don't.