dim screen on Thinkpad R31

Old April 2nd 11, 08:06 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Petrus Tax

Default dim screen on Thinkpad R31

Hello,

I carefully replaced the CMOS battery on my Thinkpad R31 laptop with XP, but
the screen appears very dim so that it is almost unreadable. I tried Fn +
Home/End, but no change whether one is on step 1 or 5. Also the center
"mouse" (the red button) doesn't work anymore, but an external mouse does.
The machine used to work fine.

I will be very grateful for any suggestions.

Petrus

Old April 2nd 11, 08:34 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Keiron[_5_]

On Sat, 02 Apr 2011 15:06:03 -0400, Petrus Tax wrote:

Hello,

I carefully replaced the CMOS battery on my Thinkpad R31 laptop with XP,
but the screen appears very dim so that it is almost unreadable. I tried
Fn + Home/End, but no change whether one is on step 1 or 5. Also the
center "mouse" (the red button) doesn't work anymore, but an external
mouse does. The machine used to work fine.

I will be very grateful for any suggestions.

Petrus

Often the bios has screen brightness settings so perhaps it's these
setting which have gone awry in the processing of reinstalling the cmos
cell? Although in my experience these are just defaults and the
brightness can be changed by usual methods, but my experience of laptops
is limited so it might be worth a look.

Did you clear the cmos with the jumper?? Might help to go back and do so.
Alternatively, you may have knocked monitor/inverter cables in the
process?

Old April 2nd 11, 09:43 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Petrus Tax

Hello Keiron,

thank you very much for your prompt reply. Where can I find the CMOS jumper
in this laptop?

Many thanks.

Petrus

Old April 2nd 11, 10:07 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Grinder

On 4/2/2011 3:43 PM, Petrus Tax wrote:
Hello Keiron,

thank you very much for your prompt reply. Where can I find the CMOS jumper
in this laptop?

Typically the jumper is fairly close to the battery.

Here's a Hardware Maintenance Manual, but it does not identify the
jumper as far as I can tell:
http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub...es/02r2913.pdf
Old April 2nd 11, 10:32 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Pen

On 4/2/2011 5:07 PM, Grinder wrote:
On 4/2/2011 3:43 PM, Petrus Tax wrote:
Hello Keiron,

thank you very much for your prompt reply. Where can I
find the CMOS jumper
in this laptop?

Typically the jumper is fairly close to the battery.

Here's a Hardware Maintenance Manual, but it does not
identify the jumper as far as I can tell:
http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub...es/02r2913.pdf

There isn't a jumper, but page 114 shows the CMOS battery.
Just remove it to do the same thing. It's under the keyboard.
Old April 9th 11, 03:55 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Petrus Tax

Hello,

it took me some time, but I was able to reset the CMOS by removing the (new)
battery for 45 minutes. Apparently, I had removed it originally for a too
short time.
The screen is fine again; only the red tracking point doesn't work anymore,
but an external mouse works fine.

Many thanks for your suggestions.

Petrus