Exabyte tape loading problem

Old August 17th 04, 09:24 AM
Phil Skuse

"Rob Turk" wrote in message l.nl...
"Phil Skuse" wrote in message
om...
Hi Rob,

Thanks for your help.

The reach belt and pulleys seem to be in good condition and are not
slipping. I can't see any way of adjusting the tension. It is possible
to manually push the tape into the drive and the leaders are OK.

I'm downloading the maintenance manual now.

It seems like the robot is not pushing hard enough to get the tape
into the drives. A gentle finger push at the right moment will get the
tape into the drive. Is there a way of adjusting how hard the robot
will push on the tape before it assumes a jam and gives up?

Phil.

If the robot thinks it's jammed, it would post an error message on the LCD.
If no error shows up, then it thinks it is all OK. Does the LCD show any
sign of error?

From what I can remember, the motors of the 230D all have optical feedback
encoders. If the one on the reach motor is bad it may think it has moved far
enough when in fact it has not.

Last far-fetched ideas are that the library runs in a demo mode or has lost
it's calibration values. I will have to ask around for more info, stay
tuned..

Rob

I'd like to thank everybody who replied to this thread, and
particularly Rob who managed to correctly identify and solve the
problem for me. The backup unit is now up and running again!

Phil.

GP6-300 Power Supply, Radeon video problem Marty Gateway Computers 4 December 12th 04 09:32 PM
VXA tape flaw Arthur Begun Storage & Hardrives 61 February 5th 04 08:38 AM
SDLT technology question Rob Turk Storage & Hardrives 3 January 8th 04 08:30 AM
cutting psu wires Pen General 4 July 27th 03 07:49 PM
Problem with Inspiron and XP Pro RC Dell Computers 0 July 1st 03 12:17 AM