Playing DVD on ATI Radeon card, crashes!

Old September 1st 04, 12:40 AM
Tux

Default Playing DVD on ATI Radeon card, crashes!

I bought a Radeon 9500 pro at the end of 2002. I was impressed. The software
on the origional CD worked well, yes there were a few glitches but there
would be updated drivers soon.
I had a few problems setting up the system so I could see DVD output on my
TV but finally I got it working.

Then somewhere while upgrading to one of the newer drivers the DVD playback
stopped working properly.
I could start a DVD movie and watch a few minutes, maybe an hour, but it
would crash everytime. Everything would freeze and I had to do a hard reset
to get things working. This would happen with a third party DVD player as
well.
Games ran fine. My most recent... farcry, is a pleasure.

For DVD videos I have had to rely on my trusty K7V system with a Matrox G400
graphic card over the last few months. I think I only played 2 movies on
the Radeon before the trouble started. The G400 is good, I can watch on TV,
but I can't help thinking the output from the Radeon is a bit better. Pity
I can't get it going.
I got tired of trying to patch this problem up over the last few weeks and
months that I stripped out the ati software and did a fresh install from
the CD.
EVERYTHING WORKED.
I played a dvd movie.
I tried a 1st person shooter.
No problems.

Great, I'll just put the latest catalyst (4.7) on top of this.
I unistalled the control panel and the driver.
I installed the new driver/control panel.
DVD player freezes while playing a movie.
FarCry works. The DVD players (one ATI, the other 3rd party) do not work
(freeze during playback).

I give up.
I HAVE to ask....
Is it possible to get the DVD player (ANY DVD player) with current drivers?

A7V8X, 512 M ram, radeon 9500 pro win98SE.

Thanks.

Old September 2nd 04, 05:49 AM
Ken Ruppel

Tux wrote:

[...]

Hey Tux,

I have an AIW 9600 Pro, and I just connected the SVideo Out to my TV. I
get my CRT monitor fine, but when I play a DVD, the DVD screen window is
blank on my TV. (And obviously, when I go fullscreen on the DVD, I get
a beautiful shade of purple.) Since you said you finally got DVD output
working on your system, I was wondering if you could steer me to what
I'm not doing right.

TIA,
Ken

A7V266E, W2K, 512M RAM
Old September 3rd 04, 01:46 AM
First of One

Uninstall any bloated ATi/3rd-Party DVD players, DivX codecs, Quicktime,
RealOne... and download the KazaaLite Mega Codec pack with Media Player
Classic.

**** them all.

news

Old September 3rd 04, 01:59 AM
Noozer

"First of One" wrote in message
.cable.rogers.com...
Uninstall any bloated ATi/3rd-Party DVD players, DivX codecs, Quicktime,
RealOne... and download the KazaaLite Mega Codec pack with Media Player
Classic.

**** them all.

I used to use the KazaaLite codec pack for a long while, until I discovered
it was responsible for breaking a number of programs I tried to use on a
regular basis. I can't remember what they are, but thought I'd mention it.