Ghost 2003 OEM version for Dummies

Old November 13th 03, 04:11 AM
Steve P

Default Ghost 2003 OEM version for Dummies

The OEM version of Norton's Ghost 2003 came with my motherboard. I had a
pretty good time trying to make it work with Windows XP so I thought I'd
post my adventures to help some other poor soul.

I first read the instructions that came on my CD. Although informative, they
didn't explain how to use the product. I went ahead and copied the ghost.exe
file onto my hard drive. When I tried to run it, I saw txt file and read it.
It said I could only access Ghost from DOS. Fine. I opened a DOS and tried
to run it from there. Still no luck. I then created a system disk (which in
Windows XP is based on Windows ME) and booted from that. Now I couldn't see
NTFS partitions and of course, Ghost was on that drive.

I then turned to the web for help. One user stated 'typing Ghost /?' would
initiate a pretty good help system. It did. But of course it didn't explain
how to see NTFS partitions. I then went to Norton's web site. I found a page
there that said the OEM was responsible for support of Norton OEM products.
I checked the motherboard web site, but no mention of Ghost in the FAQ list.
At Norton's site, I downloaded the full users' manual for Ghost anyway.
Several references to a Ghost Boot Disk Wizard, but my version didn't come
with that. I also found a post from someone saying to copy Ghost to a system
disk, reboot, and run it. It didn't say how it would be able to see the NTFS
partition.

Finally out of frustration I decided to try copying the program the system
disk, reboot, and start the program. Amazingly enough, it saw all the
partitions and the 'ghosting' process was straightforward from there.

Old November 13th 03, 04:21 AM
Hank

"Steve P" wrote in message
news
[...]

It's bone head simple. Start ghost in windows pick the source and
destination and then hit next. It reboots into dos mode and all you have to
do is wait. Couldn't be easier.

Hank

Old November 14th 03, 01:12 AM
philo

It's bone head simple. Start ghost in windows pick the source and
destination and then hit next. It reboots into dos mode and all you have

do is wait. Couldn't be easier.

i think not

there is *no* dos access to an NTFS file system

the bootdisk method is the way to go

Old November 14th 03, 02:21 AM
Hank

"philo" NONphiloNONplazaearthNONcomNON wrote in message

It's bone head simple. Start ghost in windows pick the source and
destination and then hit next. It reboots into dos mode and all you have

do is wait. Couldn't be easier.

i think not

there is *no* dos access to an NTFS file system

the bootdisk method is the way to go

Let me see if I understand what your saying. To use Ghost to backup or clone
partitions on a NTFS system you first have to create a boot disk and then
boot from that before the program will work properly?

Hank

Old November 14th 03, 03:02 AM
John E. Carty

"Hank" wrote in message
.com...

"philo" NONphiloNONplazaearthNONcomNON wrote in message

It's bone head simple. Start ghost in windows pick the source and
destination and then hit next. It reboots into dos mode and all you

have
do is wait. Couldn't be easier.

i think not

there is *no* dos access to an NTFS file system

the bootdisk method is the way to go

Let me see if I understand what your saying. To use Ghost to backup or

clone
partitions on a NTFS system you first have to create a boot disk and then
boot from that before the program will work properly?

Hank

Exactly, you load Ghost from your boot disk and it will then recognize the
NTFS partitions so that you may either create or restore images from them
:-)

Old November 14th 03, 03:34 AM
Hank

"John E. Carty" wrote in message
.. .

"Hank" wrote in message
.com...

"philo" NONphiloNONplazaearthNONcomNON wrote in message

It's bone head simple. Start ghost in windows pick the source and
destination and then hit next. It reboots into dos mode and all you

have
do is wait. Couldn't be easier.

i think not

there is *no* dos access to an NTFS file system

the bootdisk method is the way to go

Let me see if I understand what your saying. To use Ghost to backup or

clone
partitions on a NTFS system you first have to create a boot disk and

then
boot from that before the program will work properly?

Hank

Exactly, you load Ghost from your boot disk and it will then recognize the
NTFS partitions so that you may either create or restore images from them
:-)

So what you guys are saying is that when I run Norton Ghost from my NTFS
harddrive to back it up and when it automaticaly reboots into PC DOS and
performs such tasks it's really just my imagination?

Hank

Old November 14th 03, 03:43 AM
Will Dormann

Hank wrote:

"John E. Carty" wrote in message
.. .

"Hank" wrote in message
gy.com...

[...]

It sure seems like that's what they're saying. And they're mistaken if
that's the case.

-WD

Old November 14th 03, 05:15 AM
John E. Carty

"Will Dormann" wrote in message
Hank wrote:

"John E. Carty" wrote in message
.. .

"Hank" wrote in message
gy.com...

[...]

I personally only utilize the ghost2k3.exe and use a boot disk. If you ever
need to reload your backup file and Windows won't boot then you will also
need to run Ghost using a boot disk :-)

Old November 14th 03, 05:21 AM
John E. Carty

"Hank" wrote in message
.com...

"John E. Carty" wrote in message
.. .

"Hank" wrote in message
.com...

[...]

Actually, this is my ignorance stemming from my lack of utilizing all the
Ghost suite has to offer. I've always just used the executable on a boot
disk (though I have used Ghost for many years over several versions) and
never even messed with the rest of its capabilities, as I never really
needed felt I needed them :-)

Old November 14th 03, 09:05 PM
John E. Carty

"Bill Turner" wrote in message
On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 05:21:20 GMT, "John E. Carty"
wrote:

I've always just used the executable on a boot
disk

If you want your boot disk to boot faster, use a CD instead of a floppy.
You'll have to create your own using Nero or some such, but the speed up
is amazing. A floppy takes seemingly forever to load (ghost.exe is a
large program) but the CD boots in a few seconds. Works like a charm.

--
Bill, W6WRT

Sounds like a plan to me. I've been meaning to put this along with some
other DOS based diagnostics on a CD just to trim the fat from all these old
floppies :-)