flash drive no longer detected

Old October 26th 06, 04:52 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Joshua

Default flash drive no longer detected

My flash drive (Memorex) is no longer detected when I insert it into the USB
drive of my desktop (WinXP pro SP2). It works fine with my laptop, but
does not even detect on the desktop.

I tried other USB memory devices with the desktop and they work fine - so
it's not the USB port.

I tried the flash drive on other computers and they all detect/read/write to
it fine - so it's not the flash drive.

OK... it's GOT to be one or the other - any suggestions or ideas??

Old October 26th 06, 06:30 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Joshua wrote:

My flash drive (Memorex) is no longer detected when I insert it into the USB drive of my desktop
(WinXP pro SP2). It works fine with my laptop, but does not even detect on the desktop.

I tried other USB memory devices with the desktop and they work fine - so it's not the USB port.

I tried the flash drive on other computers and they all
detect/read/write to it fine - so it's not the flash drive.

OK... it's GOT to be one or the other - any suggestions or ideas??

Gotta be a marginal USB port on the desktop, likely the voltage.
And that flash drive is more sensitive to that than the others are.

You'll likely find that the Memorex will work on a powered hub or another port on the desktop.

Old October 27th 06, 05:43 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Joshua

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Joshua wrote:

My flash drive (Memorex) is no longer detected when I insert it into the
USB drive of my desktop (WinXP pro SP2). It works fine with my laptop,
but does not even detect on the desktop.

I tried other USB memory devices with the desktop and they work fine - so
it's not the USB port.

I tried the flash drive on other computers and they all
detect/read/write to it fine - so it's not the flash drive.

OK... it's GOT to be one or the other - any suggestions or ideas??

Gotta be a marginal USB port on the desktop, likely the voltage.
And that flash drive is more sensitive to that than the others are.

You'll likely find that the Memorex will work on a powered hub or another
port on the desktop.

It's odd that other USB flash memory devices work on the desktop though.
Specifically the Smartmedia card reader that plugs into the same USB port
that fails to read the Memorex flashdrive.

Old October 27th 06, 07:19 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Joshua wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Joshua wrote

My flash drive (Memorex) is no longer detected when I insert it
into the USB drive of my desktop (WinXP pro SP2). It works fine with my laptop, but does not
even detect on the desktop.

I tried other USB memory devices with the desktop and they work fine - so it's not the USB port.

I tried the flash drive on other computers and they all
detect/read/write to it fine - so it's not the flash drive.

OK... it's GOT to be one or the other - any suggestions or ideas??

Gotta be a marginal USB port on the desktop, likely the voltage.
And that flash drive is more sensitive to that than the others are.

You'll likely find that the Memorex will work on a powered hub or another port on the desktop.

It's odd that other USB flash memory devices work on the desktop though.

Not so odd if the Memorex is particularly sensitive to the 5V level.

Old October 30th 06, 08:58 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Fred

"Joshua" wrote in message
"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Joshua wrote:

My flash drive (Memorex) is no longer detected when I insert it into the
USB drive of my desktop (WinXP pro SP2). It works fine with my laptop,
but does not even detect on the desktop.

I tried other USB memory devices with the desktop and they work fine - so
it's not the USB port.

I tried the flash drive on other computers and they all
detect/read/write to it fine - so it's not the flash drive.

OK... it's GOT to be one or the other - any suggestions or ideas??

Gotta be a marginal USB port on the desktop, likely the voltage.
And that flash drive is more sensitive to that than the others are.

You'll likely find that the Memorex will work on a powered hub or another
port on the desktop.

It's odd that other USB flash memory devices work on the desktop though.

That was explained to you just 2 lines ago.

Specifically the Smartmedia card reader that plugs into the same USB port
that fails to read the Memorex flashdrive.

best cloning method? [email protected] Storage (alternative) 72 April 1st 06 07:40 PM
Hard Drive Temperature Nehmo General 36 October 27th 05 12:35 AM
Hard Drive Temperature Nehmo Storage (alternative) 37 October 27th 05 12:35 AM
Cisco News Ya'll MemoryDealers General 0 April 21st 04 04:14 PM
Removable Drive Bays Rod Speed Storage (alternative) 35 January 3rd 04 08:31 PM