dell dimension 3000 - how to wipe clean/format?

Old July 21st 05, 06:06 PM
whoopidoo

Default dell dimension 3000 - how to wipe clean/format?

Someone has told me (after I gave up on the Dell tech helpline after two
days of being told the same thing) that I probably have a boot sector
virus. ( the situation has spiralled since my last post and am now
frequently evicted from my pc or being told I have dirty ntfs files and
sometimes that I don't even have a hard drive)

Is a boot sector virus fixable? More importantly is it going to be
expensive?

I swear I was fully up to date with the McAfee updates - I can't
understand how this has happened.

All help both prior and further is very much appreciated.

Carmen.

--
whoopidoo
Old July 21st 05, 10:47 PM
S.Lewis

"whoopidoo" wrote in message

Someone has told me (after I gave up on the Dell tech helpline after two
days of being told the same thing) that I probably have a boot sector
virus. ( the situation has spiralled since my last post and am now
frequently evicted from my pc or being told I have dirty ntfs files and
sometimes that I don't even have a hard drive)

Is a boot sector virus fixable? More importantly is it going to be
expensive?

I swear I was fully up to date with the McAfee updates - I can't
understand how this has happened.

All help both prior and further is very much appreciated.

Carmen.

--
whoopidoo

Carmen -

And you've run the dell hdd diags. indicating no hardware problem?

Stew

Old July 21st 05, 11:43 PM
Brian K

Could you let us know the exact "dirty" message? It sounds like the
partition dirty flag hasn't been reset.