Dell's terrible service - final report

Old July 21st 05, 10:50 PM
Dr. Joel M. Hoffman

Again, I would ask if you have called Dell Customer Service and insisted on
speaking with a manager or supervisor about your issues? I refer you to my
email to you of several days ago.

Yes. It was the supervisor who, last Thursday, authorized an imaged
replacement drive, which I still have not received.

-Joel

Old July 22nd 05, 12:12 AM
Irene

"Robert R Kircher, Jr." wrote in message
1) I NEVER buy from Dell Home
2) I NEVER call Dell support.

This should be of great solace to the tens of thousands of Dell Customers
who believe they can do one or both. g

"Robert R Kircher, Jr." wrote in message
"Dr. Joel M. Hoffman" wrote in message

Ten days after the HD on my Dell laptop broke (the one that has
next-day on-site service and CompleteCare), and after perhaps 7 hours
on the phone with Dell and dozens of follow-up emails with Dell's
customer service:

1. I still don't have a replacement HD, but Dell promises me one is
on the way.

2. Dell reports that the service I received was in keeping with what
I should expect.

So there you have it. After a dozen years of devotion to Dell, I've
become another in what seems like a rapidly growing list of
dissatisfied customers.

And in all the time you've been having problems and complaining I've had
two laptop hard drives and a laptop power supply replaced under warranty
and all parts delivered the next morning.

How?
1) I NEVER buy from Dell Home
2) I NEVER call Dell support. I always use the email support request
3) I simply do not argue with the response I receive from Dell no mater
how stupid it is. If they suggest tests I either do them or already know
the results. In some cases I just make up the results.

This has worked for me for years. So long that I really think that the
user brings upon themselves much of the support issues we hear about .
How? I have no idea but I'm sure attitude and patients comes into play
somewhere along the line.

HTH

--

Rob

Old July 22nd 05, 12:52 AM
S.Lewis

"Dr. Joel M. Hoffman" wrote in message
Nah. It's just that they're appearing to be more inconsistent. If you
read
the archives for this group, you'll see where plenty of folks (myself
included) have had really good results using the next business day onsite
warranties. No problems whatsoever with that aspect of support.

Have you had good experience lately? I had only good experiences for
a dozen years, and now this.

-Joel

Joel,

I placed a half dozen (used, but still under Dell warranty) Latitude
notebooks recently. (2) required either parts or onsite service for
relatively minor problems.

Both experiences - honestly - were very good. The phone tech who dispatched
the onsite even went so far as to ask me to look over all the plastics on
the system as well as the keyboard and track stick to be sure nothing else
needed replacement while the onsite tech was there.

Earlier (desktop) experiences with the overseas techs (hardware dispatch
only) went equally as well. All parts arrived the next day via DHL/Airborne.

The only stinker I had was with (overseas ) spare parts.

Stew

Old July 23rd 05, 12:24 AM
Bill

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 15:37:41 -0400, "Robert R Kircher, Jr."
wrote:

[. . .]
This has worked for me for years. So long that I really think that the user
brings upon themselves much of the support issues we hear about . How? I
have no idea but I'm sure attitude and patients comes into play somewhere
along the line.

HTH

Incredibly dumb respnose. Dell wants to sell, it grabbed a good
segment of the market based upon its support. If people begin to
think the support sucks Dell will lose an advantage.
Old July 23rd 05, 12:37 AM
Tom Scales

"Bill" wrote in message
On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 15:37:41 -0400, "Robert R Kircher, Jr."
wrote:

[. . .]
This has worked for me for years. So long that I really think that the
user
brings upon themselves much of the support issues we hear about . How? I
have no idea but I'm sure attitude and patients comes into play somewhere
along the line.

HTH

Incredibly dumb respnose. Dell wants to sell, it grabbed a good
segment of the market based upon its support. If people begin to
think the support sucks Dell will lose an advantage.

I suspect Dell just has to have better service than the competition. Bad as
it is, it's better than HP, etc.

Tom

Old July 23rd 05, 01:23 AM
MDK

While I've only had to deal with HP customer service once, at least
they did what they said they would. So far, not so with Dell.

Ordered two desktop systems via web (Small Business on Dell credit
account). Everything went fine. Until about 45 days later when I
agian ordered online, this time two laptops.

The day they were to ship I learned from the Dell Status page the order
had been canceled. After much time on the phone I learned DFS canceled
the order. Dell never bothered to tell me. OK stuff happens, move on.

I get the order back in and everything seems to be ok, except for
starting at square one. After a couple days I contacted Customer
Service to inquire why the systems don't seem to be moving along. I
sent email on a Friday, by Monday I had a reply was assured the order
would be expedited, they would credit me shipment cost and up shipment
to next day from 2 day, cool. 24 hours later I learned, again from the
status page, that the order had been canceled.
This time because 30GB hard drives were backordered, cause of first
delay, then canceled because Dell decided to go to 40GB drives, so back
to square one. Again no contact from Dell.

As of this writing, Friday I'm in the very same spot I was last Friday,
its a 50/50 chance that for some reason the order will be canceled by
the time I arrived to work on Monday or Tuesday, despite any and all
assurances from Dell customer service.

I responded to this post 'cause you mentioned HP. I know I can order
an equivalent HP laptop from CDW and have it on my desk next day.

So let me ask why buy from Dell?

Myself I'm quite glad this happened to us now rather then after
ordering a block of laptops and desktops. Which was pending behind
this last order.

Look I read these posting and all but bottom line is Dell does not have
control of its own business. With customer service saying were
expideingtin your orsder, assuring me this is very unusual for Dell

Old July 23rd 05, 09:43 PM
Bill

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 23:37:22 GMT, "Tom Scales"
wrote:

[. . .]

I suspect Dell just has to have better service than the competition. Bad as
it is, it's better than HP, etc.

Tom

Never dealt with HP, have with COMPAQ. Their standard answer seemed
to be reformat your hard drive and reload the Windows. I suspect you
are right, how good does Dell service have to be? Just good enough to
keep from driving off some many customers that it impacts sales.